Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

My HP Pavilion G6 laptop can't be unlocked - I can't remember the password. I think I have Windows 10 installed. It's an old laptop I bought in 2011 and I hardly use it. I want to transfer my data and reboot it but can't seem to login. I tried many passwords which I usually use but none of them seem to be working. I don't see any "reset password" option there. I also tried the account.live.com option and I can login to my email there but the same password doesn't work on my laptop to unlock it. I also changed my password via account.live.com and used that password too. How can I fix this issue and log back in to my laptop?  

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @shazhashmi,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

If you're unable to log in to your HP Pavilion G6 laptop running Windows 10 due to a forgotten password and the usual password recovery methods aren't working, you have a few options to regain access to your system.

Reset Microsoft Account Password: Since you mentioned you can log in to your email via account.live.com, try resetting your Microsoft account password from there. After resetting the password, try logging in to your laptop again using the new password associated with your Microsoft account.

Password Reset Disk: If you previously created a password reset disk, you can use it to reset your password. However, this requires you to have created the disk before forgetting the password.

Built-in Administrator Account: Windows has a built-in administrator account that may be enabled on your system. You can try accessing this account to reset your password. Here's how:

• Boot your computer and continuously press the F8 key until you see the Advanced Boot Options menu.
  • Select "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" and press Enter.
  • When the Command Prompt window appears, type "net user Administrator /active:yes" and press Enter.
  • Restart your computer. You should now see the Administrator account on the login screen. Try logging in using this account.
  • Once logged in, you can change the password for your regular account by going to Control Panel > User Accounts > Manage another account.

Restore from Backup or Reinstall Windows: If you have important data on the laptop and can't regain access to it through any means, you may need to consider restoring from a backup or reinstalling Windows. This will allow you to start fresh, but you'll lose any data that wasn't backed up.

Choose the method that best suits your situation and preferences. Remember to always keep your passwords secure and consider using a password manager to avoid similar issues in the future.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Hi there, thanks for the detailed response; I have tried changing passwords a few times and did after your message too; its not working. Also, the F8 key option is something I read online and tried earlier too and after your message too, nothing happens it just keeps starting normally and F8 keys makes a beeping sound, that's all. Maybe I should reinstall windows? My product serial # is 5CD1463P4H, Its a HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC bought in year 2011 (its an old device).

HP Recommended

Hi @shazhashmi,

Thank you for your response, 

Due to limited support, I would request you contact our HP Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link.

https://www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.