Hayden01
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

New laptop running slow

HP Recommended
HP 17-ak006na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, and sorry this is probably the wrong board to post this in. 

I bought a new laptop directly from HP around 2 months ago, but I’m having problems with it.

Product name: HP laptop 17-ak0xx

Model number: 17-ak006na

When I first got my laptop, I noticed that the Windows interface was unusually slow. For example, a 2 second lag when clicking the volume button or opening My Documents.

At that time, I did google about why a new laptop could be slow and if there were any ways to improve it, but I had no luck.

Since this is my first HP laptop, my first AMD processor, and my first time using Windows 10 - I just assumed that Windows 10 was as bad as I had heard, or I had bought a laptop that looks good on paper but is made pretty cheap.

Unfortunately, though, this problem has been getting even worse. My CPU usage is high, but my disk usage is almost always at 100% even when running very little.

cpu.png

I googled disk 100% and tried the following fixes:

1. Disable Windows search
  2. Disable Superfetch
  3. Perform a disk check
  4. Reset virtual memory
  5. Disabled anti-virus software
  6. Change Google and Skype settings
  7. Change power settings to high performance.

None of these worked, so I did a ‘fresh start’ and reinstalled Windows - this didn’t make things better at all.

Then I downloaded HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows. I ran the short test twice and got these results (no problems but two tests were canceled).

Then I did the long test, but no problems were found.

The next day,  disk is not stuck at 100% but disk and CPU gets to over 80% when using only 1 Chrome tab.

So then I did the “HP PCs - Computer is Slow Guided Troubleshooter” guide.

1. Check for updates: the computer did the big Windows update that asks privacy questions, this took 14 hours and made my computer worse - making it hard to even highlight things on the desktop. disk was 100%. (image)
  2. Scan for virus/malware: none
  3. Scan the PC for corrupted Windows system files: “did not find any windows integrity violations”.
  4. Change virtual memory size settings (already did this but tried again):
  5. Check for overheating: Nope
  6. Update Bios: Not sure what this is, but it says it is dangerous so skipped this step.
  7. Reinstall windows: already tried it.

Still unsuccessful, I downloaded HP Support Assistant and did the following things.

• Updated minor updates and drivers.
  • Ran Operating Systems Diagnostic Check: no issues.

(next day)

Okay, so my disk usage is not running into the 100% (yet) but my CPU usage is still unusually high. For example, opening a browser causes my CPU to spike to 100% for 20 seconds (nothing else open on the computer). I’ve also tried change browsers but the result is the same. Even when completely idle with a browser open, it goes up to 30%  CPU usage.

edge too.png

So, I’m not an expert with computers - but I find it strange that my new laptop (which I don’t think was particularly a cheap model) runs slow even compared to the laptop I bought 7 years ago. It seems the disk problem has been resolved, but the computer has always been unresponsive and slow (word documents lagging/crashing, lagging too much to actually be able to type in the windows search bar etc). My mother also has a HP laptop which she bought years ago and I checked around with the responsiveness of her older, cheaper laptop - it runs much faster. For example, her volume button comes up without delay.  

Have there been any similar problems with this model and are there any fixes? 

1 REPLY 1
CF4
Level 9
5,904 5,883 206 528
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

This has troubleshooting, that you may have tried already...

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-17-ak000-laptop-pc/15551430/model/17107147

I run MalwareBytes and BitDefender.

Also Sysinternals Autoruns  from here...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12837/use-autoruns-to-manually-clean-an-infected-pc/

Make a Recovery Media if you can.

HP Recovery Media Creation.png  IF IN DOUBT PLEASE ASK.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation