dma0
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Notebook Powers Down Without Warning

HP Recommended
HP Spectre X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've recently started encountering a problem with my notebooks. Not sure exactly when it started but a rough time frame would have been maybe 5-6 months ago - can't pinpoint exactly as I usually use it plugged in.

Anyway, it happened again this morning so thought I'd post while it was fresh in my mind. Basically what happens is that the notebook, in a fully charged state, abruptly powers down after running for less than an hour (maybe 45 minutes) when it's not plugged in. As in the screen goes blank and the power light goes off.  Trying to power it up again using the power button does nothing. The power indicator showed 58% battery remaining at the time it shut down. When plugged back in and powered back up, it shows a slightly higher level (59%). I was keeping an eye on CPU usage, it wasn't super high - maybe averaging 30-60%

Before this started happening, I could get maybe 5 hours of relatively heavy use before the battery approached 10% and when it dropped below I think 5% it would automatically hibernate (per the power settings).

I tried checking Event View for System events but did not see anything noteworthy relating to power down. I do see an event indicating that the system was rebooted unexpectedly, which of course shows up timestamped sometime after the shutdown.

Windows is up to date, as is the BIOS and drivers - I update those on a regular basis. I've also checked the power settings, and it's still set to default settings, with hibernate to kick when it drops below 10% remaining power.

Not quite sure how to even go about diagnosing or fixing this problem. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
iomare
Level 15
Level 15
11,699 11,638 2,313 4,708
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

First try running HP diagnostics hardware test. You can run from within Windows or at boot "when windows does not start"

Try performing the fast test and component test on battery and charger.

Here is link to HP support page showing how to perform these tests:

https://support.hp.com/lt-en/document/c03467259

Let me know,

David

dma0
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion and sorry I should have provided more information on other stuff I've done to try to diagnose this issue:

- all Windows updates have been applied

- all drivers have been updated (as in I went through every single item in Device Manager, right-clicked and selected Update)

- all updates from the HP Support Assistant have been applied

- battery check in HP Support Assistant was used - indicated that the battery was OK

- also ran battery check in HP Hardware Diagnostics, which indicated that the battery was OK

- I've also tried a hard reset by turning off the PC and holding the power button down for 15 seconds

- Haven't yet done a full system test with HP Hardware Diagnostics but have now started running it

Also: I decided to run another test by deliberately unplugging it and draining the battery. Once again it just blips off at 59%. This time, I plugged it in again, started up and once started up put it back on battery only once again. It died within a couple of minutes, again around 59%, so it seems to be (as far as i can tell) a problem with the battery itsef or a calibration problem (which is worrisome given how short battery life is right now). Will try running a manual calibration as well.

0 Kudos
dma0
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK had the chance to run full diagnostics using HP Hardware Diagnostics. Only thing it noted was a "fix" of sound (I had it muted and apparently it turned up the volume). Component tests on battery and charger passed.

I also tried doing a manual calibration by draining the battery, restarting, going into diagnostics and running the battery test, which it passed, so it doesn't seem to be a calibration issue (or if it is diagnostics aren't picking it up).

Unfortunately after doing all of that, still shuts down at 59%. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

0 Kudos
dma0
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Tried a battery rundown once again. This time it shutdown somewhere just below 20%, so that's good. But it just shut down. No hibernation or warning regarding low battery, so that's bad.

Just thought I'd try posting one more message to see if anyone might have any suggestions. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

0 Kudos
dma0
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Tried a battery rundown once again. This time it shutdown somewhere just below 20%, so that's good. But it just shut down. No hibernation or warning regarding low battery, so that's bad.

Just thought I'd try posting one more message to see if anyone might have any suggestions. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation