cancel
Tinkwinks Top Student
Top Student
7 5 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Recovery media didn't work,factory reset didnt work. HP only wants me to extend warranty!

HP Pavillion Notebook 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I dont know what else to do. Recovery media failed. Even after the update for recovery manager through HPSA.

I was then advised to factory reset- "no worries-recovery media is already on your device" - another fail.

After the long awaited reset and then updates. HPSA wasnt giving me updates. I uninstalled and reinstalled only to have it give me 2 or 3 updates downloaded over and over until I cancelled.

The notebook came with windows 10 pre-installed and was fine until these auto updates that have ruined all the devices

in our household-7+ computers as well as 3-4 printers not wanting to play nice when no problems before.

Have ran every test and spent months googling and eyeballing forums. There is no virus/malware- except windows 10!

The issue is my computer is nothing as it was before these updates started rolling in. Disabling devices and drivers that were kept up to date via HPSA. But apparently not up to date enough for Windows. Now I have went through so much with so many computers in the same situation I dont even know what was originally on here completely.

The lovely fold out (1sheet) I received with my laptop didnt specify drivers and hardware to my device alone but on the overall model line. Even then it only tells the features and what is obvious from stickers.

USB/CD/and even external drive backup was a NO GO!  I'm appauled at the lack of HP's support with these recent events.

Seems there are many but when contacting microsoft or HP they just want to point fingers at each other. Never a real resolution.

I have already sent in 2 brand new computer starting at just 6months old- one is being sent in a 2nd time.

The supposedly replaced the motherboard on one but a quick view with a flash light inside revealed nothing but dust bunnies-which oddly I dont recall being hardly an dust when support had me attempt to reseat the hard drive and check cables.  The pictures I took of the inside look the same as upon retrieval.

Has anyone else had any luck in finding a detailed list of drivers and how to get them to properly install?

Has HP been of any help in assisting? I just keep getting pushy reps wanting me to spend $300+ for warranty.

I loved this computer until a few months ago. We have always bought HP and never had to even contact warranty before on any devices. They all lived their life and some still do though very outdated. But the newest computers we have are the ones failing us.

If I'm to spend money then I would be best off to buy a new computer-new brand-new OS.  Which after these months of no sleep-worry-and frustration seems like the ultimate choice. I hate chunking a perfectly good (well once so recently) computer away. My kids have been withdrawn from their online homeschool because we couldnt get a computer to consistently work-printers/scanners failing and not being able to complete assignments and activities.

I don't know what to ask.. as said before I have ran diagnostics/virus scans etc. Pc is clean- barely anything on it now.

As far as diagnostics- not sure what it can diagnose if its not all there.

I have a dell with windows 7 that I may end up putting all this effort into- at least the kids can use their cd software on it.

Only other thing I know is support did remote session and did a bunch of quick cmd prompts and such stopping some services. To try and help the "lag" and flashed the bios which made it worse- not sure it was even the right bios.

Another tech did that on a newer desktop and bricked the computer.

If anyone knows my next "go to" I'm open to ideas. thanks in advance! Computers have never been such a pain for me 🙂

8 REPLIES 8
Provost Provost
Provost
41,441 38,140 3,337 13,995
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Recovery media didn't work,factory reset didnt work. HP only wants me to extend warranty!

To find your Support page with drivers/updates-get your full Model number or preferably Product number.How To Find Model/Product Number

Once you have the info, use the button at top of this page titled "Support",  click "Software and Drivers" from the menu. On the next page click "Personal Computing", next page scroll down- enter your Product Number. After entering  click 'Find' button. On the next page be sure correct OS is selected-if not click Change to edit .A list will populate with drivers/software.

There will be several network adapters listed since HP uses various ones. Check in your Device Manager to see which one you need. In the search bar on your taskbar start typing Device Manager. It should appear at top of list. There may be several graphics drivers-Device Manager will again point you in right direction.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

Tinkwinks Top Student
Top Student
7 5 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, I have tried this. I do know my driver is realtek for internet as it is under battery.

Problem is Im not for certain the hard drive and major parts. I think the wrong one is showing in device manager.

Before I remember it showing a SATA drive. No it just shows standard disk drive and oddly no volume or anything listed on it in properties. I dont want to take apart to look inside as I have heard these are diffucult to work with as a home user.

For instance I have read that the memory is inaccessible.  I have my notebook and pen out and am doing some more searches and trying to find notes and pictures from way back to see if I can find any helpful info.

I really miss my laptop and I hate the feeling of worry everytime I logon on thinking about security and also if the hardware is in anyway being damaged because of these problems.

I have a drive partition listed as HP TOOLS: fat32- everything else is NTFS.

Would that be obsolete not being NTFS?

Just weird. Everything eas running fine as windows 10 was preinstalled.

Now its acting as if my computer got mixed up with another older one.

Really wish there was a way to track down which MS account was "digitally linked" to each of my pc's.

That might solve a lot of these issues. But i am really worried that the recovery is gone thats suppose

to be "protected" on the drive. I had multiple backups and all have failed. Not sure where to place blame

on my external drive. I read up on it before buying and it had great reviews but Im not sure how I feel about it yet.

My old external- really just a pnp storage for photos and a few documents I wanted to save worked great.

Im scared to plug it in and lose its data.

I am seriously recalling those old "Windows/computers/etc For Dummies" books !!

I actually looked for some but there where dated 2016 and alot has changed since then .. especially with the fall updates.

Im off on the too familiar and never-ending rabbit trail yet again hoping this time will be the final and resolved one.. at least for this one of many pcs.  🙂

0 Kudos
PhD Student
PhD Student
990 949 29 87
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Honestly, when you ramble on like this, I have no idea what the problem is exactly. I am reading your two posts and I don't know what you want from us.

0 Kudos
Tinkwinks Top Student
Top Student
7 5 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Not sure at this point. Was hoping someone from HP would chime in with something I havent tried. But after previous warranty "repairs" one having done nothing I dont see any help from HP. Sorry if I "rambled" but I have spent months trying to fix these issues (im not a computer wiz) and my kids have been kicked out of school now due to things not loading and such. So it seems my ultimate solution is to buy a new computer and switch brands and probably OS. Thank you for your insightful and helpful post though. 🙂
0 Kudos
PhD Student
PhD Student
990 949 29 87
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Tinkwinks wrote:
Not sure at this point. Was hoping someone from HP would chime in with something I havent tried. But after previous warranty "repairs" one having done nothing I dont see any help from HP. Sorry if I "rambled" but I have spent months trying to fix these issues (im not a computer wiz) and my kids have been kicked out of school now due to things not loading and such. So it seems my ultimate solution is to buy a new computer and switch brands and probably OS. Thank you for your insightful and helpful post though. 🙂

Getting a new PC is no guarantee especially if the PC runs Windows 10.

Maybe get a Chromebook.

If you don't have any data files on the PC, then you can just install Windows 10 again. The problem is that most people have files on the PC that they want.

I like sitting all day and trying to figure out how to fix a broken PC, but most people don't enjoy it or don't have the time.

0 Kudos
Tinkwinks Top Student
Top Student
7 5 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No files that i want to keep. One of the updates wiped out most of those.. some more inportant stuff was backed up to cloud. Im attempting another windows install now. My main issue is the outdated drivers getting replaced by windows. HP has started updating more since many complaints. But apparently I have missed some drivers and cant seem to pinpoint the correct ones for my exact model.
Anything tech these days dont include a book with real specs.
Just a generic features pamphlet/sheet.

I have looked at chromebooks and other computers. Just hoping to save a nice laptop. I utterly regret upgrading my desktop which was rock solid and steady on windows 7.

I certainly feel the new windows is a majority of the problem from seeing posts with similar issues on brand new devices.

Windows has been great and all we have ever known since '95-ish. So apple feels like a huge leap into the unknown. But definetely tempting and being researched.
0 Kudos
PhD Student
PhD Student
990 949 29 87
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Apple products certainly have their devotees.

At 2x the price, I won't ever buy them, but that's just me.

I use  Linux 99.5% of the time.

I am posting right now on a small form factor desktop PC that dual boots Linux Mint and Windows 7. I keep Windows 7 around just in case, but use Linux Mint.

Anyway, if you like Windows 7 I would suggest buying a refurbished Windows 7 PC from a reputable dealer on eBay. I have had very good luck with mine.

The only caveat is that as of now Windows 7 stops getting security updates from Microsoft in 2 years. I am hoping that the deadline gets extended.

0 Kudos
Tinkwinks Top Student
Top Student
7 5 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes that is the downside with windows 7. Im hoping to get one running for stictly offline use with older cd software for kids. Cant beat the even older software that ran on mid 90's to early 2000's.

I cant find my OS disk for the desktop-literally every other disk and paperwork but no Windows OS. I havent found anywhere to buy that I would trust yet that has them. Ive been burned twice on ebay with buying xboxlive. Luckily i was covered under buyer protection.

I have skimmed about linux but not researched enough on that either. I do here quite the fanbase like apple but without a price tag-especially on the high side as with apple.
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation