Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion G6-2221ES
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have just updated my laptop using this HP patch: sp63774.exe

It was supposed to fix a problem of the Recovery Environment that slows down after upgrading from Win 8.0 to Win 8.1

Now, I cannot enter the Recovery Partition.

It justs gets stuck after the message:  "Please Wait...".  I don't get any options to recover the System. Just a Black screen.

link to patch   (Software-Solutions section)

Please help.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @jose2016,,

Thank you for the update.  

Did you create your recovery media before doing the update to Windows 8.1? If you create an USB recovery drive, it will need a working recovery partition. Create a USB recovery drive (from support.microsoft.com). Can you access the recovery Manager from  within Windows? HP PCs - Performing an HP system recovery (Windows 😎. Another link that may help with the Recovery Manager is  HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP System Recovery Problems (Windows 😎

You could try doing a restore back to before the update was installed? HP PCs - Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 10, 😎

You stated that you do have a recovery partition. If you check Disk Management, does it still have data on it and is it healthy?

Were you able to boot into safe mode?

Have you tried running the Windows troubleshooter?

Sparkles1

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @jose2016,

Thank you for your inquiry. I understand that you updated Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 and you were experiencing an issue with the recovery manager. You downloaded HP sp63774.exe but when you installed it you got a "please wait" screen and no options to do a recovery. 

First, I would try a hard recovery or forced reset.  HP Notebook PCs - Use Hard Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues. Please remember to remove all peripheral devices such as USBs, printers, external monitors or external hard drives.

Did you create your recovery media before you updated your notebook to Windows 8.1?

Can you boot into safe mode? HP PCs - Windows Safe Mode (Windows 10, 😎.  

Just to let you know the link you provided above is for HP Pavilion g6-2221ev  and does not have  sp63774.exe but, I did locate it on the software and driver page for the model you listed as yours. 

Please let me know the outcome.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your answer,

Just to clarify.  I am able to boot normally. What does not work is de Recovery Mode after pressing F11 key.

After pressing this key, it seems that I am going to get the Blue Recovery Screen with all the options but, that never happens. The computer just gets stuck on a black screen.

My recovery partition is there, on the Hard Disk. That, I have to point out.

After posting this question I googled for different options and it seems that I can create a Rescue USB Drive from inside Windows 8.1.  That could be a workaround.

Jose Luis.

HP Recommended

Hi @jose2016,,

Thank you for the update.  

Did you create your recovery media before doing the update to Windows 8.1? If you create an USB recovery drive, it will need a working recovery partition. Create a USB recovery drive (from support.microsoft.com). Can you access the recovery Manager from  within Windows? HP PCs - Performing an HP system recovery (Windows 😎. Another link that may help with the Recovery Manager is  HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP System Recovery Problems (Windows 😎

You could try doing a restore back to before the update was installed? HP PCs - Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 10, 😎

You stated that you do have a recovery partition. If you check Disk Management, does it still have data on it and is it healthy?

Were you able to boot into safe mode?

Have you tried running the Windows troubleshooter?

Sparkles1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.