Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I know this is probably (or potentially) a silly questions, but...

I am getting the 15-dc0010nr, and it comes with a HDD, but I already have an SSD in my old computer. However, I know that with the 15-dc0010nr, you can customize the lighting on the keys. Is this something that can be downloaded, I assume? Do Windows updates take care of this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@daveaphoto 

You can't legally do what you are proposing to do -- as the Windows version on the old laptop is tied to that  laptop, not to you -- as that is the case with OEM PCs. 

Additionally, unless the hardware is identical or nearly so, that other Windows install uses drivers for that PC, and when you attempt to use it in a different PC, it will invariably fail.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@daveaphoto 

You can't legally do what you are proposing to do -- as the Windows version on the old laptop is tied to that  laptop, not to you -- as that is the case with OEM PCs. 

Additionally, unless the hardware is identical or nearly so, that other Windows install uses drivers for that PC, and when you attempt to use it in a different PC, it will invariably fail.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.