HP Recommended

Windows KB4038788 update continually fails to install

Spectre x360 Convertible 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Version: 10.0.15063 Build 15063

Model: HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ac0XX

Type: x64-based PC

Issue:

When Windows update attempts to install KB4038788, it downloads the patch, says to reboot to install.  I reboot.  The update appears to install after a reboot.  Once the system performs a final reboot, Windows detects there was an issue with the patch and rolls it back.  Since updates are automatic, this process repeats ad infinitum.

Downloading the patch from Microsoft directly and installing is a disaster.  The patch appears to install, then upon reboot, the system cannot find the boot drive.  Recovering to a system restore point will rescue the system, but the patch is then no longer installed.

sfc /scannow finds there is some corruption that cannot be repaired, but it is isolated to  .wav files.  The wav files do not match a particular hash, nor do the replacement files.  It seems likely there is an error in the hash itself, not the files, since sounds work as designed.

Has anyone else had issues with this Cumulative Update?

Thanks,

Donn

1 REPLY 1
Provost Provost
Provost
8595 8450 689 3086
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows KB4038788 update continually fails to install

Hi @daiken357,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum.

You are not the only one who is affected by this problem. In a variety of forums online different people have posted about the same problem with no concrete solution. Nowadays sometimes Windows update fails. Just wait a while and Microsoft may release a fix.

You can temporary suspend this update so that it does not get pushed to your PC:

>> https://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

and

>> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-rei...

****  Please, click on the button below to mark this post as an ACCEPTED SOLUTION if it helped you
****  Don't hesitate to hit the THUMB-UP+ button below to say THANKS or give LIKE
I am not employed by HP Inc. **** I express personal opinion only. **** HP Expert **** I work in IT and cyber security

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation