Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Winmagic

HP Recommended
Elitebook 850
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

We have a winmagic drive encryption issue.  When the the Winmagic login screen appears as it boots, the screen usually shows two users.  However, today when it boots there are no user to select, hence no way to unlock the encryption.  Where are the normal users, why are they not appearing.  We have the password, just no where to enter it.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
9,651 9,558 771 3,552
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @sfletcher1959

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum.

Did you perform some sort of HP update or Windows Update prior to this problem start time ?

May be the same as described here >> https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Laptop-HP-Drive-Encription-no-u...

Looking forward to your reply.

**** I would appreciate if you click the White Thumb-up+ for encouragement and kudos ****
**** Please mark this post as an accepted solution if it helps ****

Your feedback and update are important.
Click below on Accept As Solution and Likes+ icon if my comments helped or to say thanks

I work for HP Inc. *** I express personal opinion only and do not speak for HP *** My location: Europe *** Volunteer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It is exactly like what happened in the previous post.  It is our CEO's laptop and no updates have been made.  He rebooted and when the encryption screen appeared, there were no users.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
9,651 9,558 771 3,552
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, there is nothing more I can add, other than what I wrote in the other post.

Not sure what caused this. There are plenty of possibilities, tought - malware on the computer, corrupted HDD, just software corruption, etc.... I am afraid your only option left is to format the HDD and reinstall the operating system.

HP Drive Encryption is a full disk encryption. No full disk encryption vendor can guarantee recovery - they guarantee some sort of advanced security only but no guarantee for recovery.

Your feedback and update are important.
Click below on Accept As Solution and Likes+ icon if my comments helped or to say thanks

I work for HP Inc. *** I express personal opinion only and do not speak for HP *** My location: Europe *** Volunteer
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation