Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 15 x360 PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

So laptop fell from table and crashed HDD. It went into endless loop of HDD recovery. 2 days later installed sandisk SSD 1TB and W10 x64.

Dilemma is my back up is over due by a week and have no access to personal files! Took OEM HDD installed it into a case and connected to laptop and tried to access my files.

Error message says cannot access files are corrupt. 

Yes, tried HP recovery and got error that back up partition was locked by admin. So recovery was was not possible by anymeans.

Now that the OEM HDD is in a case and the new OS is running.

Is there any recovery tool to retrieve my files?????

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @Ringsteel 

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Community.

What you did is already advanced level and deep into it. Most people cannot reach this level . I am afraid that the only option left is to search for and contact a company (professionals) who offer data recovery services. I do know such companies exist but most of them offer such services to business clients only and also these services are too expensive - outcosts the potential data loss of one week old archive.

If connecting the HDD through a case/cable to another PC is useless, not much is left. Sorry.

Best regards,

IT_WinSec

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Thank you for replying.

Looking into GRC Spinrite and other apps to see if they are good options.

If anyone has any personal success anecdotes would be appreciated.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.