Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 Laptop - 15-ee0503na

Keys on my laptop built in physical keyboard have stopped working when I press them. 't' and 'y'. Both upper and lower case.  When I press them f5 flashes on  (but does not stay on after I release). I have done he f2/hard reset/diagnostics tests.

This happened previously a few weeks ago when I was in India. Then I thought it might need cleaning due to the heat, humidity and dust. I cleaned it but it did not help. Then all of a sudden the keys started working  again. When the problem started yesterday I tried cleaning it as before but it has not helped.

OK, as I am typing this message,  the keys have started working. But can anyone tell me why this is happening and what I can do to stop/prevent it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Macrow,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It's good to hear that the keys are working again, but intermittent issues with laptop keyboards can be challenging to diagnose. There are a few potential reasons for such problems.

1. Hardware Issue: There may be a loose connection or a malfunctioning component in the keyboard. This could be related to the physical connection between the keyboard and the laptop's motherboard.

2. Driver Issue: Sometimes, outdated or corrupted keyboard drivers can cause problems. Ensuring that your drivers are up-to-date might help.

3. Software Glitch: Temporary software glitches can also lead to keyboard issues. Restarting your laptop can sometimes resolve such problems.

Given that the issue seems to have occurred in a different location and resolved itself after some time, it might be related to environmental factors, as you initially suspected.

Here are some steps you can take to prevent and troubleshoot such issues.

1. Update Drivers: Make sure your keyboard drivers are up-to-date. You can do this through the device manager on Windows.

2. Check for Software Issues: Run a full antivirus scan to rule out malware causing the problem. Also, ensure that your operating system and all drivers are updated.

3. Environmental Factors: Extreme heat, humidity, and dust can affect electronic components. If you suspect these factors are contributing to the issue, try to keep your laptop in a controlled environment.

4. External Influences: Ensure that no external devices (USB devices, wireless keyboards, etc.) are interfering with your laptop's keyboard.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @Macrow,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It's good to hear that the keys are working again, but intermittent issues with laptop keyboards can be challenging to diagnose. There are a few potential reasons for such problems.

1. Hardware Issue: There may be a loose connection or a malfunctioning component in the keyboard. This could be related to the physical connection between the keyboard and the laptop's motherboard.

2. Driver Issue: Sometimes, outdated or corrupted keyboard drivers can cause problems. Ensuring that your drivers are up-to-date might help.

3. Software Glitch: Temporary software glitches can also lead to keyboard issues. Restarting your laptop can sometimes resolve such problems.

Given that the issue seems to have occurred in a different location and resolved itself after some time, it might be related to environmental factors, as you initially suspected.

Here are some steps you can take to prevent and troubleshoot such issues.

1. Update Drivers: Make sure your keyboard drivers are up-to-date. You can do this through the device manager on Windows.

2. Check for Software Issues: Run a full antivirus scan to rule out malware causing the problem. Also, ensure that your operating system and all drivers are updated.

3. Environmental Factors: Extreme heat, humidity, and dust can affect electronic components. If you suspect these factors are contributing to the issue, try to keep your laptop in a controlled environment.

4. External Influences: Ensure that no external devices (USB devices, wireless keyboards, etc.) are interfering with your laptop's keyboard.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Hi Alden4, 

Thank you for your reply. It makes sense.

However, I don't think it was environmental factors per se, as it happened first in a hot climate and happened again in a cold one (4-9*C) a couple of months later. I also did checked for software and malware glitches before posting.

I do think it might be a driver/updates issue. I updated everything on my return from India, and ran diagnostic tests etc before posting. Subsequently I have discovered 2 optional updates from HP in the updates on offer in my computer and taken them.,.

Fingers crossed. The problem is solved. I really really don't want to have to replace the motherboard,

Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.