Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

You get a Windows installer usb and boot from it and follow screen prompts. The process looks just like installing from a DVD. Did you by any chance ever have Windows 10 on it installed and activated? Cause Windows 10 is a free download and the Microsoft app will make a bootable usb thumb drive and you need no Key Code. 

HP Recommended

no  its  definately only  ever been   8   while ive had it but i did get it  second hand ,  where do i get   a free one from   ?

HP Recommended

Free is a tall order. HP does not have it available from the driver download page but if you contact Customer Service they may still have one available. If not you have to get a copy of Windows 8 OEM of the same kind as was originally installed. Likely plain Windows 8 64 bit. There is a restore disk .iso on the Microsoft site for free download but I believe it only works for retail versions not OEM. 

HP Recommended

i thought you said    its a free download   in your previous  message 

HP Recommended

It is but likely will not work for you. I think to get something that works it is going to cost you I hate to say. Even if HP had the restore disk they would charge you shipping. 

HP Recommended

ok cheers,  one more   thing,  as stated  previously,  I have widows 8.1    on the old  hard drive with the damaged sectors,,,   is there  any way  i can  transfer  or copy that to an  empty  USB  flash  drive  ?

HP Recommended

No once the drive has bad sectors it is not possible to reliably make a copy from it

HP Recommended

couldnt i even  try  though   cant lose  anything  can I 

HP Recommended

Sure you can try. In fact if I were you I might try to clone the old drive to new. You need a usb to SATA adapter you can find on amazon.com for about $15 and then cloning software. Put the new blank drive in the laptop, connect the old drive with the adapter externally, boot from a thumb drive containing the cloning software and clone (copy) the old disk to the new. I am pretty sure the clone will fail but you might get lucky. Post back if you need help. There is free cloning software like Macrium Reflect. 

HP Recommended

I have one of those   is it also  called a caddy   ?  update  I have installed   macrium reflect   and have put the   new drive in the caddy and connected it  via the USB  cable,  it is  cloning now 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.