Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 2 (73 Views)

omni 10 operating system

Product Name: Omni 10
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I added a micro sd card to increase the stoarge capacity of my omni 10.  I thought the card that was previously installed was a "space filler", I was not aware that it contained the recovery system.

Somehow out of nowhere, bitlocker was installed on my notebook, and my device begain vibrating and indicating that it had crashed.  So I rebooted it, and was unable to continue wihtout inputting the bitlocker password which I don't have.  There was very little by way of outside software on the device, so I decided to recover the unit, only to find out that I had discarded the micro sd recovery disk.  I do have all the original paperwork, and found my product number serial number and so forth. 

I downloaded a windows 8.1 from HP website, but it wouldn't install, because the version I downloaded didn't match the id on the motherboard.

I have now ordered a new recovery disk from ebay for $5, and will attempt to recover the system, I don't know what will be left of the tablet, but I can live with it whatever it is.  I had already installed Office 2016 on the device so I could have my current version of outlook on all my devices, and can reinstall it. 

My only question is what is on the motherboard, and how can I know it.  All I know is it is windows 8.1 I' think, and I don't know what version it is  or even if there are multiple versions.  I can't find an answer on the website, and can't locate a contact for customer support. Worse case, I'll reformat the **bleep** drive and simply install windows 8.1 and leave everything else in the recycle file.

I'd appreciate a succint answer from a knowledgable soul

Deacon Jim

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 2 (57 Views)

Re: omni 10 operating system

It is Windows 8.1 Standard (Home) 32 bit. HP does not make Windows 8.1 available for download so you likely got a retail version from Microsoft. But what is odd is that Windows 8.1 Home does not have bitlocker...only Pro version so that is a mystery. 

From here I cannot really understand what you are asking.  

The exact model number of the laptop or Product Number would help tremendously. If the recovery disk you got for $5 is for the correct model series it should work but will provide a bare factory reinstall. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation