Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Any suggestions on clearing space?

14-an013nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I ordered my 32 GB computer assuming no problems would hit me. Well by my not-knowing and dumb luck I did. Having my computer with pre-installed Windows 10, It's taken up 19 GB of my computer's space itself and I need 14 GB of space to install the game I need. Is there anything I could uninstall that wouldn't cause serious problems?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
20,669 20,614 1,890 4,540
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Any suggestions on clearing space?

EE9457

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

The sad truth is that the 32GB drive has barely enough room to run Windows and some apps.  If it had been upgraded from Win8x to Win10, there would be Windows Update files you could remove, but as it came preinstalled with Win10, those do not exist.

The only sizable disk space savings comes from moving large data and multimedia files from your drive to an external drive or USB stick -- but if you don't have those, that's not an option.

Something you can consider is using a third--party tool to create recovery media -- either an external drive or large USB stick.  This would allow you to remove the Recovery partition and reclaim that space.

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition. This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 10 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore.

Plus, MR has the option to Add a Recovery Boot Menu entry. This allows you then to boot into WinRE, and you can then use that to do a restore -- when you can't boot into Windows!

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

After that, you no longer need the Recovery partition and can remove it.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation