Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS Update Failure

ProBook 450 G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi. I am trying to update my BIOS using download SP75637, but the update always fails.  I download the file and launch it and it tells me the process completed successfully, but when I restart the PC via the update process, the update fails.  The system states that there is a missing BIN file.  It also states that the file should be located in" C:\Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\New", but the update process doesn't even create this folder.  What is the problem?

BTW, I am a retired IT professional and have perfomed BIOS/SW updates for 20+ years.  Why dosen't the update process create the necessary folders?

TIA...JL

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 3
18 16 0 17
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS Update Failure

I have had a similar problem with this BIOS update this morning as well.  In my case, the update causes the system to reboot in an endless loop.

HP Support -- Please, please pull this BIOS update and fix it before more users have this problem!  Thank you!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
11 8 0 1
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS Update Failure

I had the exact same experience as Buildyourpc. Attemped to upgrade the BIOS on my ProBook 450 G3 (Win7 Pro x64) from release 1.07 to 1.10. Endless reboot loop without starting Windows.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS Update Failure

I opened a ticket with HP support regarding this issue and what was their response?  They are sending out a shipping box so I can ship the laptop for service!  There is no way I am going to ship my laptop to them to correct a problem they created.  I can live with an outdated BIOS as long as my laptop works.  I will reattempt a BIOS update when HP gets their act together.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
18 16 0 17
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS Update Failure

I also opened a ticket with HP.  I received a call from HP Technical Support to inform me that the issue has been escalated to L2 and there should be a resolution in a matter of a few days.  I emphatically stated to the representative that SP75637 should be pulled immediately so that no one else has this problem.  From their response, it sounds like it's up to L2 to remove a Softpaq.  Let's hope this gets resolved quickly.

Highlighted
Level 3
18 16 0 17
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS Update Failure

Hello Everyone,

I received a response to my ticket from HP Technical Support which is essentially supplemental/expanded installation instructions for SP75637 - V1.10 BIOS. 

Here is the relevant text:

After updating to 01.10, machine will give a 2-2 Flash/Beep Code. This is normal.  Allow machine to finish, do not power off, do not pull the battery.  This process can take 2-5 minutes on average.  After it is completed, machine will power off and power on by itself.  It will then begin to power cycle, only showing the HP Splash Screen.  Press F10 when the HP Logo appears, enter BIOS, and click ‘Apply Factory Defaults and Exit’.  Machine will reboot two more times, and will boot back into Windows.

WARNING: Restoring factory defaults will remove all custom settings on the computer. Allow machine to reboot and then go back into BIOS and have customer change their custom settings back.

If machine fails to boot after you select ‘Apply Factory Defaults and Exit’, flash computer back to BIOS 01.06.

I was able to successfully update my ProBook 450 G3 -- it took about 10 minutes or so.  I have also responded to HP Technical Support as follows:

Hello HP Technical Support,

I just successfully completed the update to BIOS 1.10 on my ProBook 450 G3 using the special instructions emailed to me yesterday. Thank you!  While I was able to get this update to process, I don't believe this is the type of update a non-technical user will be able to do.  I have over 45 years of IT experience (A= Certified, CDP) -- that's why I can follow your instructions and run the update.  I truly believe that this BIOS update has to be repackaged and properly automated so that it is "hands-off" and easy to install.

If you feel as I do, you may also want to contact HP Technical Support with your own experience/opinion of this update.

I hope this helps!! 

Highlighted
Level 1
11 8 0 1
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS Update Failure

Thanks BYPC, I followed HP's instructions and the update went as expected. I am now at HP N78 Ver. 01.10, 4/10/2016.  The entire process took 5-6 minutes.  I am also an IT professional and I agree with your assessment; HP should repackage this update to automate the entire process.  I wasn't concerned about re-applying the factory defaults since I hadn't made any custom settings.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
Level 1
5 5 0 1
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS Update Failure

Please try latest BIOS version from HP.com, 1.11.

Highlighted
Level 3
18 16 0 17
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS Update Failure

You're exactly right!  The new BIOS truly solves the problem.  Thanks!!  Sorry I've been very, very busy or I would have posted this as well.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation