6 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bios updating

17-1191nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

recently acquired a gem of ancient tech-- it is a used hp envy 17-1191nr-- 

a few changes from stock, however is that it has a new 250GB SSD, 16GB of RAM, and is running windows 10... but one small problem...

I think it needs a BIOS update because of the behavior it has when I leave it in sleep mode, it doesn't like to wake up.

I have a habit of leaving it asleep but the boot from shut off is not long at all (about 15 seconds or less) What happens is that the keyboard backlight comes on and it seems to be trying to wake up but fails and I think the speakers make a slight pop noise, and then it keeps repeating that

My 'fix' is to remove battery and power and then re-insert and it starts up again, no problem.

Reading on-- I read that it would likely be either the BIOS or the battery. Tonight I did a test with a spare battery and same thing happens.. my co-worker and he said it may be the BIOS too.  

My other concern is seeing that the date on my BIOS is also from 2010 (F.1B) and the newer one from HP's website is F.1D from 2011... and that my BIOS is booting from Legacy rather than UEFI....

I'd like to know how to update the BIOS, because I tried changing the BIOS boot order and it doesn't seem to work to get it to boot to CD or USB, when I attempted to change the order, it just tells me to remove CD or USB and press any key to boot normally. 

This is my system info, if anyone knows what I need to do... I don't plan to jump the gun here and risk bricking my laptop, but I don't have anything important on it yet.

Thank you for reading, nonetheless.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-OJN63MM
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP ENVY 17 Notebook PC
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU YL748UA#ABA
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz, 1600 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.1B, 11/3/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Embedded Controller Version 101.53
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:Windows
System Directory C:Windowssystem32
Boot Device DeviceHarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.14393.206"
User Name DESKTOP-OJN63MMApel
Time Zone Central Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 12.9 GB
Total Virtual Memory 18.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory 15.5 GB
Page File Space 2.88 GB
Page File C:pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

2 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
13527 1269 3012
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bios updating

Apeliotus

Sorry, but there is no way to update the BIOS with your current setup.

HP makes BIOS updates OS-version-specific, so if it is listed with Win7, then you must be running Win7 in order for the BIOS update to work.,

When you run the update, it does an OS version check, and if it does not match the intended OS version, it errors out.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Apeliotus Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bios updating

Would it be possible to downgrade to windows 7 by burning a windows 7 ISO to a disc and then upgrade the BIOS, then reinstall Windows 10 (having saved the product in my microsoft account?)  I know its a hassle but I am willing to go through the trouble if it means I can put it to sleep.

The owner before me should have updated the BIOS before installing 10.

I have also done a little more digging and I have read solutions about going into power and sleep settings and changing 'when harddisk powers off'

I can try setting it to 'never' but I am not sure about it yet.  My only real goal is to get it so it can sleep without being unable to be waked up without having the battery and cord taken out.  I just want to wake it up normally

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation