Level 1
8 4 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Compatibility of DV7 - 6b57nr with upgrade from Win 7 to Win10

Pavilion DV7-6b57nr
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am contacted almost every day with a pop up encouraging me to upgrade from win7 to win 10  on the advice that, according to the pop up,  my machine is capable of the upgrade. On the other hand, i hear/read of horror stories of folks who have tried the upgrade and have met with peril in doing so.  I know HP has not tested machines as old as my model so i am wondering if there is any other way that i can determine compatibility befroe going ahead.

3 REPLIES 3
Level 15
Level 15
18,192 18,137 1,694 3,987
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dv7Lee

Microsoft has reached a new low of despicabilty in that NOW, they are forcing Win10 Upgrades on folks by presenting a window in which there is NO option to decline the Upgrade!

Folks installing Win8 fresh are reporting that they get this Window before doing any Updates!

So, I would suggest downloading and running this utility to attempt to prevent your PC from automatically upgrading to Win10:  https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the problem you're up against is that Microsoft only supplies drivers with the most basic functionality, and what you really need for FULL functionality in laptops is the specialized drivers written for the specific hardware found in laptops -- and unfortunately, there are no HP Win10 drivers for your laptop.  HP only guarantees Win10 compatibility for machines made after August, 2013. HP does not have any schedule indicating when, or IF, they will be producing drivers for the older machines.

However, for MS-supplied drivers that aren't working well, you could consider using HP Win8 drivers -- although there's no guarantee that those drivers will work.  Here's the link to the HP Product drivers and software page for Win8 for your PC:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-dv7-6b00-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-serie...

If that page does not show Win8x when you open it, then click CHANGE and select Windows 8x using the pulldown.

You might have to install the drivers using compatibility mode: http://www.windows10forums.com/articles/compatibility-mode.7/

If you really want to try the Upgrade, then at least follow the directions below to make an image backup of your drive to give yourself something to restore the PC from, should the Upgrade fail:

This is VITAL because the machine is likely to fail the upgrade, and when it does, you will learn that the Win10 GoBack function is NOT reliable, and that can leave you with a corrupted machine that will require factory reset, and losing everything on it, to get it working again.

You avoid this by making an image backup to an external drive or USB stick using Macrium Reflect (MR) which provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Dv7Lee
Level 1
8 4 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Many thanks for the detailed report.....really helped with what to upgrade to and also with system image preservation. 

Any thoughts on the real, significant benefits to upgrading to 8 or 8.1 ?

Thanks again for your expertise and help. 

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
18,192 18,137 1,694 3,987
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The major benefit from upgrading beyond Win7 is that of continuing to receive security patches from MS.

Win8 support ended a while back, so at this point, Win8.1 would be the better choice.

Realize that both Win8 and Win8.1 do NOT come with a Start menu, so to get that function restored, you would need to download and install one.  Some Start menu options include Start8 (from Stardock, which costs $5) and ClassicShell (which is free).

Good Luck
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation