Post new question
Question

Student
Message 1 of 4 (2,619 Views)

Disable Touchpad, Windows 7

If I connect a mouse to a USB port, how can I disable the touchpad in windows 7 64 bit?

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 4 (2,609 Views)

Re: Disable Touchpad, Windows 7

[ Edited ]

Hi,
Please write your notebook product number (p/n), which system are you using and country of purchase.

Resource:
How to Locate the Notebook product number (p/n)

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
Tutor
Message 3 of 4 (2,455 Views)

I didn't have any disable options on my G72 running Windows 7.  I ended up uninstalling, then the disable option showed up.

1. Control Panel

2. Device Manager

3. Mice and other Pointing Devices

4. Right-click on PS/2 compatible mouse

5. Uninstall

Restart machine

6. Control Panel

7. Device Manager

8. Mice and other Pointing Devices

9. Right-click on PS/2 compatible mouse

10. Disable

If you just uninstall, the touchpad starts working after next shutdown, so you need to do the disable too.

After I did this I thought maybe I should try the download new driver thing.  Disaster for me, I couldn't disable and the above didn't work anymore either.  I ended up moving the downloaded driver to my recycle bin before doing the above to prevent the new one from reinstalling every time I rebooted.

Please "Kudos" this post if it helps you out.  Thanks.

Honor Student
Message 4 of 4 (446 Views)

None of the above worked for me can't get touch pad off by any program solutions. tried them all.  Get a roll of aluminum duct tape (comes in black also)  TAPE OVER THE ENTIRE TOUCHPAD NEATLY.  TOTALLY DISABLED.  WORKS ON ANY LAPTOP.  Peel off to turn on again.  Sometimes the simplest soloutin is the best and easiest.  I have used a small laptop size optical mouse (about $4.) to replace the often mis-directed touchpad on all my laptops from day 1.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation