PipingRockIT
Level 2
13 8 0 5
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Elitebook 840 G3 eRepLogo support?

Elitebook 840 G3

We just got a few of our first Elitebook 840 G3 laptops.  We have a boot logo we used on our previous G1 and G2 models.  I tried to run it on the new G3 but it returned an error saying it couldn't do it.  Is there a newer version of the eRepLogo utility that will work with the G3?

9 REPLIES 9
Level 11
11,219 2,184 436 152
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@PipingRockIT wrote:

We just got a few of our first Elitebook 840 G3 laptops.  We have a boot logo we used on our previous G1 and G2 models.  I tried to run it on the new G3 but it returned an error saying it couldn't do it.  Is there a newer version of the eRepLogo utility that will work with the G3?

Is that a HP product?

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
0 Kudos
PipingRockIT
Level 2
13 8 0 5
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes it is an HP product
0 Kudos
Level 19
Level 19
79,965 79,860 9,903 21,367
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

What is the Operating system of your computer ? eRepLogo won't work on all computers.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
PipingRockIT
Level 2
13 8 0 5
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

They are running windows 7, but ereplogo is a boot time efi application, so OS should be irrelivant.

0 Kudos
petrun
2 2 0 0
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just bought three 840 G3’s and experienced the same problem. I was hoping that G3 was just an upgraded G2 like G2 was nothing more than an upgraded G1, but it seems that a bit more tuning has been made under the hood than just a new chipset. Let’s just hope HP releases a new version of ereplogo soon.

One thing, apart from the logo problem, is that the DriveLock feature works differently than before. If you have two DriveLock enabled storage devices, the computer will ask you for the key twice instead of once that was the case until now – even if the password is the same for both devices.

Also, on the G1 and G2 models the boot logo would be visible a user defined number of seconds before the DriveLock sceen appears. Now, the DriveLock screen is shown before the boot logo, so if you – like us – use the boot logo to present the owner of the computer, it won’t be visible until the user passes the DriveLock screen.

It’s also very disappointing that HP abandoned the user friendly service cover to access memory and storage devices etc. Now you have to unscrew no less than 11 (!) screws to expand the system memory.

Another thing is the complete lack of spare parts. I’m trying to get hold of a hard drive hardware kit to mount an extra SATA disk, but it’s completely impossible to find one. The G3 is definately launched, but all options and accessories obviously aren’t.

I’m confident that the G3 turns out to be a good buy, but right now I’m a bit tired of all things not beeing thought through by HP.

0 Kudos
petrun
2 2 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Support just sent me an EFI utility called HPCustomLogoApp, that apparently replaces the old ereplogo. It doesn’t seem to work on previous models though. It just hangs when using it on a 840 G1.

This helps us replace the default boot logo, but since the DriveLock screen is shown before the boot logo, a user won’t see it until the DriveLock screen is passed. This is bad news if you want to present contact information of the owner.

HP Support also confirms a change in DriveLock behaviour. Before, you told the BIOS to enable DriveLock and entered the Master Password followed by the User Password. The drive was then unlockable by both the Master and the User at boot, but if you wanted to disable DriveLock permanently in the BIOS, you had to enter the Master password. In the G3, there are two options in the BIOS: ”Set DriveLock Master Password” and ”Enable DriveLock”. The first option just sets the Master password without enabling DriveLock. The second option first asks for the User password and then enables DriveLock. The drive is then unlockable by both the Master and the User at boot, but on the G3 the user password can be used to disable DriveLock permanently in the BIOS as long as he’s got access to the BIOS settings. The user is also able to change the password. In short, the user’s permissions have been increased and the master’s exclusive powers have been weakened. The Master’s role has been reduced to being just a recovery password, and if you want to prevent the user from making any changes to DriveLock, you have to password protect the BIOS.

0 Kudos
fghjk
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, where we can download HPCustomLogoApp?

0 Kudos
Gabor7878
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, is it possible to download this app from anywhere? I cant find it, does not matter how hard i googe it...

0 Kudos
dannyvdp
2 2 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Any luck ? Got the same problem you see ...

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation