Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
aer12994 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion Notebook "Plugged in, not charging" message

Pavilion 15-au020wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This laptop is brand new. The past few days, when I plug it in to charge, i get a messae over the battery icon saying "pluged in, not charging". I have read that this is in fact a software issue dealing with Windows 10 and I have tried multiple times to imlement solutions involving the Device Manager. The only thing I haven't tried is actually removing the battery because I do not think this particular HP model can be have its battery removed by the user. I would really rather not have to exchange laptops especially if it is a Windows problem, is there any way you can help?

1 REPLY
Dean Dean
Dean
8096 713 2239
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion Notebook "Plugged in, not charging" message

Hello aer12994

There is one thing you can try that might work, provided there is nothing physically wrong with the battery.

It is possible to disconnect the battery, which will help make this procedure successful.

It requires you to remove the eight screws on the bottom of the case first.

Before you get started, here are the instructions to do so, starting on page 29.

As long as you don't replace anything, you wont fault your warranty.

HP Pavilion Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide - c05228250

Instructions for fixing Battery not charging:

You can try this without disconnecting the battery first. 

If its not successful, you will need to use the instructions above to disconnect the battery before using this procedure.

1. Unplug the power cord to the laptop and remove any other unnecessary items like a USB drive, etc.

2. Disconnect the battery cable only (no need to remove the battery).

3. Temporarily replace the bottom cover and plug the power cord back in.

4. Turn the laptop/Windows 10 on.

5. Press both the Windows key and X key. Click on Device Manager from the list that pops up.

6. Under Desktop (drop the arrow down to show the listed items if not showing), find Batteries and click the drop down arrow next to it.

7. You should see one or both of these items...

Microsoft AC Adapter

Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

Right click on each one and choose Uninstall.

8. Close the window and shut down the computer.

9. Unplug the power cord.

10. Reconnect the battery and reinstall the bottom cover.

11. Connect the power cord and turn on the computer.

Let me know what happens.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation