Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
I don't know
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Refurbished HP laptop - below is what comes up as far as model, etc.  I am trying to disable controlled folder access and I keep getting an error message to contact IT administrator.  I am the only user and am administrator!  Can someone help me with getting past that message?  Cindy

HP Laptop 17-by3xxx
My notebook
CindyB04574_1-1623117886203.png

Specifications Product number: 9TB73UAR#ABA Serial number: [Personal Information Removed]
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@CindyB04574 

First of all, let's clear up  a misconception.  While you are the only general class user, you are not The Administrator.  That is intentionally hidden to prevent folks from running as the Admin and thus exposing their PCs to lots of malware, including rootkits.

Second, All I see in the screenshot is the start menu -- and I can't read any of the details because the image is too small. I don't see the prompt you are talking about.  If you are being prompted for a password because you are trying to control file access permissions, that is how Windows 10 works.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.