Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 2 (132 Views)

Hp laptop not working right

Product Name: Hp g60 notebook
Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista
My hp laptop has been sitting a couple months was working properly last use. Now When I try to connect to wifi it want connect I tried all the basic stuff. Still nothing. I tried to use Windows update but it never update only kept scanning for a long period of time. I also tried to update definitions for Windows defender but it did same thing. Tried to update drivers and it would search online for software and it has not stopped searching and it want let me close the program. I have lost I tunes also and Vlc media player.

My programs I'm running if I can uninstall any
Hp update
U torrent
Microsoft visual c++2012 redistributable (x86)
Microsoft visual c++2010 redistributable (x86)
(Microsoft visual c++2008 redistributable (x86) 9.0.30729.6161)
(Microsoft visual c++2008 redistributable (x86) 9.021022)
Microsoft visual c++2005 redistributable
Nvidia hd audio driver1.3.18.0
Portlookup
iCloud
Hp desk jet 1050 j410 series
Conexant had audio
Realtek sub 2.0 card reader
Nividia drivers
Microsoft works
Synoptics pointing device driver
Adobe reader 8.1.2
Hp help and support
Hp quick launch buttons 6.40d3
Hp wireless assistant
0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 2 (113 Views)

Re: Hp laptop not working right

Iconic1

First off, you're running Vista and MS no longer actively supports that, so when you try to run Windows Update, it appears to hang -- sometimes for hours or DAYS!  The same is happening now to Win7 folks, and some of us believe this is intentional on the part of MS to coerce folks into upgrading to Win10!

This is a link to a utility that might fix the Windows Update problem:  Download WindowsUpdateFixer - MajorGeeks

Second, that list is NOT  just of programs that are running; instead, it is a mixture of apps, infrastructure components and drivers.  The components ( visual C++ redist.) were installed by some applications because they need those components to run.  The drivers are necessary for your hardware to work. 

In terms of removing those items, the only ones I see are the following:

1)HP Update -- this has been replaced by HP Support Assistant: HP Support Assistant | HP® Official Site

2) U Torrent -- I don't use torrents, but it might be worth your checking to see if there is a newer version

3) PortLookup -- don't know what this does -- you should research online and see if you need this

4) iCloud  -- unless you are using this for cloud storage, you don't need it

5) HP deskjet -- you should check for newer Vista drivers and software for this: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-deskjet-1050-all-in-one-printer-series-j410/4027462/drivers

6) MS Works  -- this is the really OLD, free version of MS Office. Unless you have alternative apps, you should keep this

7) Adobe Reader -- this is a really old version and you can download the current free version from Adobe

As to VLC, you can download the latest version from their website:  https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".
========================================================================

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation