Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
8,121 8,112 485 934
Message 21 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is it possible to change Windows Hello IR camera focus?

Thanks for the reply, I will pass on the information to the concerned team and update you shortly.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9,855 9,844 922 1,547
Message 22 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, @Alpione

I would like you to take your own picture using the camera app. Once done, check the picture quality and let me know if the quality is good.

Thanks, I'll watch for your reply!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
9 8 0 2
Message 23 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, taking a picture with the Camera application works fine.  When I'm sitting in a room with lots of light, it focuses on my face properly and you can see details.

When I try to setup Windows Hello in the exact same spot, all it sees is a completely dark silhouette with bright light around me.  Exactly like the other user posted earlier in this thread.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9,855 9,844 922 1,547
Message 24 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, @Alpione

Thank for the update. I have informed the respective team about the same.

Thank you again & Have a great day!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 1
Message 25 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, I bump this up again, as I am having exactly the same issue with my new 13-ac0XX. The Picture of my face in Windows Hello is moslty black and unrecognizable, Windows Hello is not able to recognize me in 90% of all lighting situations. I also own a Surface Book, which, under exactly the same circumstances, immediately recognizes me. So it is not a "Windows Hello" or Windws problem, but clearly a Hardware or Driver problem and thus HP´s fault. Please address this, or I will sadly have to return my unit.

Highlighted
3 2 0 1
Message 26 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm getting the same issue on my new HP Spectre X360 13 2017 13-ac0xx.

Windows Hello does not work if there is a bright source of light in the image.

I have no windows updates outstanding (Windows V. 10.015063 build 15063).

I have no updates required in HP Support Assistant.

I've restarted since updates 

This is an image taken from the Hello training screen without any light in the fram. As you can see, my face is lit and it recognises me.

Screenshot (3).png

When there is another light source in the image, my face is silhouetted and it doesn't pick up that I'm in front of the camera.

Screenshot (4).png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
34 27 0 2
Message 27 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, I notice there is a lot of people who have this problem with the Hello camera not recognizing their faces when there's bright light, so let me explain my personal work-around for this camera issue.

The problem seems to be that the camera is exposing the images towards the highlights of the image, instead of exposing to the shadowed face.

To force the camera to refocus on my face, I shift my head forward towards the camera. Basically, I am adjusting my chair into a more comfortable position, which involves me getting up and leaning slightly foward while I adjust my seating position. This quick movement in the camera frame causes the camera to refocus, and ideally, there is a split second where it sees my face on the lock screen and logs me in. You don't need to move slowly or deliberately, just quickly shoving your face into the camera will work.

The camera may need to be trained to see your face at this close angle. To do this, open the Hello training menu in a brightly lit area that caused you problems. SLOWLY and deliberately move your face closer to the camera (you may need to shift your head to cover the window in the camera-frame) until it detects your face and starts scanning. HOLD YOUR HEAD STILL at this exact angle (the camera may warn intermittently that it can't see your face, but STAY STILL) until it completes scanning of your face. Train the camera like this several times in different areas you had problems with.

Next time you try to log in, you may need to lean forward (basically, just adjust your seating or whatever) towards the camera to get it to refocus. However, the trick is, when on the lock-screen, to keep moving your head (forwards, back, left, right, whatever). It sounds kind of weird, but as I said, all I do is reseat myself in my chair and the camera will usually pick up my face correctly. There are times this doesn't work, but they are rare. 

It's taken me a couple months to discover this trick to get the Hello camera to function normally, but at this point I have no problems with its functionality whatsoever.

Let me know if this helps!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
34 27 0 2
Message 28 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Oops. Triple posted for some reason.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
34 27 0 2
Message 29 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Whoops. Triple Post.

0 Kudos
3 2 0 1
Message 30 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The thing is, as users we should not be expected to introduce strange behaviours to work around poorly implemented technology. Especially when Windows Hello implementation is seen as enterprise-grade identity security.

From the  Microsoft device experience specification itself (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/windows-hello-face-authe...😞

Microsoft face authentication in Windows 10 is an enterprise-grade identity verification mechanism that's integrated into the Windows Biometric Framework (WBF) as a core Microsoft Windows component called Windows Hello...

• The ability to provide a consistent image (using IR) in diverse lighting conditions that also allows for subtle changes in appearance including facial hair, cosmetic makeup, and so on.

I have about a 80% hit rate at the moment and this makes it next to useless, even though I have made a point of trying to train it in as many different situations as possible (over 20 different iterations in different conditions using the trainer), but there is clearly a driver issue at play here.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation