Highlighted
4 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Laptop not turning on or charging

HP Recommended
Pavilion dm4
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)
Hi my laptop wont turn or charge.any time i open the donload folder in file explorer it would stop responding which makes the laptop not to respond.then I would either remove hold the power button to turn it off and then turn it on again or I would remove the battery then put it back then turn it on. I did this a couple of times then I wanted to turn on my laptop again but wouldn't turn on so I tried charging it but wouldn't charge. pls someone help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,360 12,338 1,167 2,455
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Stygian,

A warm welcome to the HP community. A very good day to you. 🙂 I understand that you require assistance regarding the computer not showing a display or powering on. It will be a delight to assist you. 🙂

Spectacular troubleshooting, superb description and splendid analysis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂 You are a valued Hp customer and I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

• Is there a light by the charging port where the charger plugs in?
  • Do you see a light on the power button?
  • Please let me know the complete model# of the unit as well.

It looks like a hardware issue with the computer.

Please perform a hard reset from this link first: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768

• Then try these steps:
  • If there are no lights by the power button and the charging port, please try these steps first,
  • Please try different wall outlets.
  • Please try a different adapter if you have one or could get hold of one at a local Best Buy or Staples store without having to buy it.
  • Please try with only the charger and without the battery if the battery is only a removable one.

If the computer is powering on and there is a light by the charging port and the power button and there is no display, please perform a hard reset from the same link, mentioned above and then try to hook up the computer to a different external screen such as a TV using an HDMI cable if possible to check if it is the display that is faulty.

If nothing works, please contact a local Staples or Best Buy technician to get the computer serviced as there is a hardware issue with the computer. As this is an older model and retired by HP, service options for this product is no more available as the product is no longer manufactured.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation