Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-CS3xxxx
Linux

Summary: Linux Battery Saving options are not so automatic. Battery life may be poor. These steps may help.

Details: While modern Intel CPUs use P-States to keep CPU power levels optimum, I have found it does not take into account if the PC is running on AC or Battery Power. This causes rapid power drain - even when doing mundane tasks (i.e. browsing, email, writing, not gaming).

Solutions: 

1. Activate POWERSAVE governor (Many kernel configurations have PERFORMANCE as default)
  2. Apply POWERTOP application --auto-tune option

And some more obvious ones

1. Dim screen
  2. Disable unused features, i.e. Bluetooth
  3. Suspend unused system processes

These items more than doubled available battery time from just under 2 hours, to over 4 hours.. The powersave governor reduces the CPU frequency, and the powerertop application optimizes acpi settings.

These commands may help (your distro may have init scripts for this, but in case:

As root:

$ echo "powersave" | tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor

courtesy Slackware rc.cpufreq init script

As root

$ powertop --auto-tune

YMMV but I hope this information is useful. Perhaps there are comparable settings for AMD processors.

References: About Intel P-States , Kernel Scaling Governors , Powertop Documentation and Download 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.