Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre
Microsoft Windows 10 IOT

Hello, I first experienced this when trying to play a game on my laptop, however I have now realised that this actually just happens in general, no matter what app is open. I can't move my mouse whilst typing/ whilst a button is in use. How can I fix this. I have been unable to find any recent solutions that work. Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@georgiam287 Welcome to HP Community!

I suggest you turn off Smart-sense or Palm-check the Synaptics control panel - however, if this doesn't work for Windows 10 versions of this driver, you may be able to get around this as follows:

• First, download the Synaptics driver on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder:
  • Turn off your wireless card ( should be F12 ).
  • Open windows control panel, open Programs and Features, right click the current Synaptics driver and select Uninstall.
  • When complete, restart the notebook.

When windows has reloaded, open your Downloads folder and run the Synaptics installer - when this has completed, restart the notebook again.

Open the Synaptics settings panel, disable Smart-sense or Palm-check and then check if the touchpad will now work with a keyboard key held down. 

If it does, turn your wireless card back on and use the utility on the following link to prevent Windows 10 from automatically updating the Synaptics driver: Click here

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, 

Thank you for the response. However, this has not worked. The current synaptics driver doesn't come up in the control panel so thus I am unable to uninstall it. The synaptics control panel also apparently doesn't exist either. So thus i can't turn off smart-sense or palm check. 

Thank you

HP Recommended

@georgiam287 Could you check if you've got the elan touchpad if not synaptics? Also, if it is synaptics, please try the below steps after you create a new user account, install the HP Support Assistant, install all available updates using the HPSA:

1. Press the Windows key on your keyboard and type Control Panel in the search box.
  2. Click on Mouse and go to Device Settings tab.
    Go to Settings.
  3. Under the Synaptic Settings, go to Pointing, then select Sensitivity.
  4. Select Palmcheck and set it to Minimum.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.