BMiller50
2 1 0 1
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Numeric Keyboard issues

HP ENVY 17t-j100 Quad Edition
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since the upgrade to the anniversary 10 edition, out numeric keyboard can not be used for number entry.  I have tried the numbers lock.  I have also updated the keyboard software via the properties using the windows key and "x" to open the device manager.  I don't want to go backwards to the 10 version if I don't have to.  The current winodws  version is 1607.  Any information on how to fix would be apprectiated.

2 REPLIES 2
Level 3 albert-rc
Level 3
24 24 3 2
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Numeric Keyboard issues

Hello BMiller50,

This issue could occur due to incompatible, outdated or corrupted device drivers. Let’s try to follow these methods below which can help us resolving this issue.

Method 1: Use the hardware troubleshooter to fix the issue

The Hardware Troubleshooter is an automated tool which will check the hardware connected to the computer for any known issues with it and provides the details and on how to fix them. Follow these steps and run the troubleshooter.

Follow these steps:

1. Press Windows key to get the Start menu.
  2. Type Troubleshooting in the search box right up corner and hit enter.
  3. Click on Troubleshooting tab.
  4. Click on view all option on the upper left corner.
  5. Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.
  6. Click Next to run the Hardware and Device Troubleshooter.

If the issue persists, follow method 2.

Method 2: Update display adapter driver.

Step 1: Check for the latest driver update through Windows Updates.

1. At the Start screen, type Windows Update.
  2. Click or tap Settings on the right side of the screen, and then select Install optional updates from the left results.
  3. When the Windows Update control panel opens, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates.

Incompatible or not properly installed graphics card drivers are the most common cause of this issue.

Step 2: Follow the steps below to update the keyboard drivers.

1. Press Windows + X key on the keyboard.
  2. Go to device manager.
  3. Right-click your keyboard device.
  4. Click Update Driver Software and then follow the steps in the wizard that appears.

Restart the computer and check.

If the issue persists, follow method 3.

Method 3: Check in compatibility mode.

Download  the drivers from the Manufacture and follow these steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

a. Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website.

b. Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘properties’.

c. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation.

d. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

You may also refer: Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows (Steps applies to Windows 10)

Hope this information is helpful. If the issue still persists, please post back for further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Please remind to lock up for Windows related questions on the official website, please follow this link to verify the information I provided http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/keypad-not-working-on-windows-1....

Best Regards,

I am an HP employee
0 Kudos
BMiller50
2 1 0 1
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Numeric Keyboard issues

This issue has been resolved.  I would not rest until I found an answer.  The answer to my issue was resolved by going into the control panel.  Right clicking the "Mouse" setting.  When open I clicked on the tab "Pointer Options" at the top of the page.  Please note there are other tabs.  Ours starts with "Buttons", then "Pointers" followed by "Pointer Options".  I clicked on "Pointer Options" tab.  I found that "Snap to -- Automatically move the pointer to the default button in a dialog box" had been checked off.  I unchecked it by moving the mouse over the box and clicking it off.  I don't know if it was fixed at that time or when I decided to reboot our computer, but after the reboot the numaric keyboard worked as it should have.  All is right with our computer...Well, so far at least!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation