Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Right and Left click on touchpad not working

HP Recommended
Spectre 13-4005DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Right or Left Click buttons are not working. When I click on either nothing happens. It does not allow me to drag either. I re-installed the software for the touchpad and It still does not work. How can I fix this problem?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
23,488 23,427 2,167 5,114
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

layce731

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about your touchpad buttons not working and wanted to help -- but need more information.

I see you're running Win10.  Did the PC come preinstalled with Win10? Or, did you upgrade it from a prior OS to Win10?  If you did the upgrade, how long ago was that, and what was the prior OS?

We can proceed once you provide the information.

Thanks

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had windows 8 and upgraded the operating system in November of last year.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, thanks for the info on the Win10 Upgrade.

But, I'm presuming your touchpad did work after the Upgrade, and it only stopped working recently, right?

Anytime someone comes here running Win10 and complains about something suddenly not working, I immediately suspect Windows Driver updates.

Unfortunately, Win10 automatically forces driver updates on all of us, without our knowledge, and without our permission -- and when this happens, a working PC is suddenly "broken".  This might have happened to you.

You need to go into Settings, Update & Security --> Windows Update.

Then, choose Advanced Options --> History to see when updates were last applied.  If you see any that include device drivers, those could be the problem. So, if you can, you should see if you can rollback the drivers that are causing the problem.  You do this by going into Device Manager, seeing if the appropriate device is still listed, and if so, trying to rollback the last driver update.

If there was no recent driver update, then the good news is that HP does make Win10 drivers for your PC:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-spectre-13-4000-x360-convertible-pc/7527520/model...

Go to that page and download the Synaptics TouchPad Driver and install it.  Your touchpad should then work properly.

And if that fixes the problem, then consider disabling future driver updates using the information in the link:  http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/15989-device-driver-automatic-installation-turn-off-windows-10-a....

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
========================================================================
If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!

If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes it has been working fine up until recently. There was no device driver updates and i have reinstalled the synaptics touchpad driver and it still does not work. The touchpad only does not work when I need to use the right or left click function. I believe it's a hardware issue. What do you think?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry, there's only so much we can do on a forum.

Since we have no way to remote into the PC and run any diagnostics ourselves, we have no way to examine the PC ourselves.  This limits us to providing written diagnosting steps in the hopes that those will reveal the problem and how to fix it. If those don't work, your only recourse then is to take the PC to an authorized HP service center to see if it can be fixed.

Here is a link with information on HP Service Centers:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00372730?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0004

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
========================================================================
If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!

If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation