Visitor
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

USB Ports not working

15-r209ni
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I recently downgraded my HP 15-r209ni Notebook from Windows 8 to Windows 7. Only Windows 8 drivers are listed under the support page, but they all seemed to install and work just fine. The only problem is that my USB  ports don't work after Windows loads up. There aren't any drivers under the support page and Windows Update can't find them, nor can several driver update programs - It's just listed as an unknown Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller under the Device Manager. 

Any idea where I might be able to get those drivers?

1 REPLY 1
Retired
Retired
3,486 2,755 184 356
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

USB Ports not working

Hi there @Mosimanegape, 

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. It is a great site for information and questions. I have looked into your issue about needing HP Notebook - 15-r209ni  Windows 7 USB drivers. 

As this system came with Windows 8,  downgrading could be challenging. Some of the drivers are not available for Windows 7 systems and you would be missing some of the special features. Here is a link for you to understand your downgrade rights.

You had said "There aren't any drivers under the support page and Windows Update can't find them, nor can several driver update programs".

Which update programs have you used?

How many devices are you trying to connect?

What are you trying to connect via USB?

Did you happen to try using the HP Support Assistant? 

Here is a link to the HP Support Assistant if you have not tried it yet. Just download and run the application and it will help with the software and drivers on your system that need updating. It should pull in the most compatible driver for you on Windows 7. 

Below are other troubleshooting steps that may help also. If the USB device does not display in Device Manager, then there might be a power requirement issue. Disconnect the device and perform the following steps until the device is detected:

• Restart the Notebook
  • Connect the device and wait 5 seconds.

• If the device does not show up, try connecting to a different USB port.

• If the USB device displays in Device Manager after connecting the cable to a different port, then uninstall and reinstall the USB device software driver.

If the device is not recognized in any port, disconnect it and go to the next step.

• Open Device Manager.
  • Double-click Universal Serial Bus Controllers,

• Double-click a USB Root Hub,

• Click the Power tab,

• Click Power Properties (if it is shown).

Devices that are attached to the hub are shown, as well as the power that they require. If the total displayed power is over 500 mA, remove the devices and use a powered hub.

• Continue looking at the power properties of each USB hub. If the total Power Required exceeds the Total power available for the hub, then remove a device on that hub to lower the Power Required number.

• Connect the device and wait 5 seconds. If the device is not recognized, disconnect it and go to the next step.

Please Note; remove high-speed USB cables that are over 3 m (9.8 ft) in length and use high-speed cables that are shorter than 3 m.

Source:Troubleshooting USB connections

You could also try to use the Microsoft Fix it tool. Here is the link for the Microsoft Fix it Solution Center

When we have come to a resolution, please share what worked for you with others by marking this post as an Accepted Solution. If you would like to show your appreciation for my efforts today, please take a second to click the Thumbs Up button below.

Please re-post and let me know the detailed results of all the troubleshooting steps in this post. 

Look forward to hearing from you!

Have a great day! Smiley Happy​​​​​​​

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation