Honor Student
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Verifying windows 7 product key after new hard disc installation

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I have recently installed a new hard disc in my HP   laptop, but when I re installed windows 7, it would not accept the product key, and told me to contact you to  get this fixed, as the software was originally factory installed. Please can you help me get this sorted out.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3304 3302 178 336
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello@cehp4321,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!  It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel.

I understand that your PC is asking for a product key for activating the Windows. Did I get it, right?

Generally, this issue occurs with any internal components replaced like Hard drive, motherboard etc.

I would like to share a link which ideally helps you activate the Windows 7 operating system you installed using the recovery media.

http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01860395

Hope this answers the question. Please let me know more.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
15439 15384 1437 3417
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

cehp4321

From the problems you are describing, it sounds like you did NOT use an HP OEM version of Windows to reinstall your PC.

That is a SERIOUS problem as the product key that came with your PC can only be used to activate an HP OEM version of Windows.  It can not be used to activate any version that you downloaded from Microsoft or installed from a Microsoft DVD or USB stick.

What you need is something known as HP Recovery Media.

HP Recovery Media is a set of DVDs and a CD, or USB stick, that will erase the hard drive (removing all data, settings, and applications, reinstall the original OS, drivers, and some HP Utilities. In some cases, you may be able to order a USB stick instead of disks. You have to order these from HP; they can not be downloaded.

But unfortunately, HP no longer stocks Recovery Media for the Windows 7 PCs.

Since HP no longer provides Recovery Media for your model, a couple of other sites you should check are: http://www.computersurgeons.com/ and http://www.restoredisks.com/

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation