Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 10 3rd party email client not able to get new emails

I have a new HP 15-au030wm notebook runnig windows 10.  Having a problen with 3rd party email clients such as Thunderbird not being able to download new email once the program is running.  I can send email just fine, but I can only retrieve new emails if I quit and restart the program.  Ive tried Mailbird and Operamail as well.  All 3 programs have the same problem.  I have already tried resetting the system and uninstalling and disabling all security software.  Then doing a fresh install of the mail client.  Also tried running in compatibility mode windows 7.  None of this worked.  Web based mail using the built in Windows 10 mail client works just fine.  But thats not downloading emails to my notebook.

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
24,135 24,090 2,044 3,179
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@duwayne_1

Thank you for joining HP Forums.}

I'll be glad to help you 🙂

As I understand the Windows 10 mail client works, however, any 3rd party email client doesn't download or show emails,

Did this issue occur after upgrading to windows10, if yes, have you follow the steps recommended by Mozilla to fix this known issue?

If not, you may start with attempting the below steps:

Update the network adapter to the latest drivers available from the Official HP Website.

Disable the firewalls and any active anti-virus programs (uninstall one if there are more than one antivirus program installed)

If nothing works, make use of the OEM recovery media from HP (Click here for details on obtaining it) to revert back to factory defaults to resolve the issue.

For more details, you may also lookup the words-"Windows 10 upgrade, Thunderbird won't get new messages and Firefox does not work" on google.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As stated this is a new note book with Windows 10 already installed, no upgrade. I've tried all remmidies you mentioned. Please note that this is not a mozzila only issue as I stated. I've tried Mailbird and Operamail as well. Same issue. Please reread my original post. Thank you.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 576 1,654
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> Having a problen with 3rd party email clients such as Thunderbird not being able to download new email once the program is running.  I can only retrieve new emails if I quit and restart the program. 

Does the E-mail program have a button for "send-and-receive" ?

Does the E-mail program have a "setting" for "check for new E-mail every NNN minutes" ?

It would be helpful if you were to open your E-mail program, and use the Windows "Snipping Tool" to capture a snapshot of the "controls" at the top of the program's window, e.g.,

Capture.JPG

and to do another snapshot after you have opened the program's "settings" window.

Paste those snapshots into this forum.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

For what it's worth here are images of what you requested to see.  I have been on the phone with charter communications and confirmed that everything is configured correctly for their service.  Accessing this account through web based mail works just fine.

I also tried setting up my own personal email accont the this computer and I have the same problem with it.  Just as a side note I am running the same version of Thunderbird on my desktp which is running windows 7 pro.  The email on that computer works just fine.  With that being said.  I tried running Thunderbird on this notebook in windows 7 compatability mode.  That didn't work either.

Capture-1.PNGCapture-2.PNGCapture-3.PNG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 576 1,654
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Near the top-left corner of the first snapshot that you posted, there is the text "Get Messages",

and a small picture of an arrow pointing "down", into a "basket".

In the second snapshot, I see a "check-mark" before "Check for new messages every NNN minutes".

To me, everything looks like you should be able to automatially receive messages every NNN minutes, and to manually "click" on that 'Get Messages' text.

Is that happening for you?

P.S. In the first snapshot, to the right of the 'Date' column-heading label, I see a "triangle" pointing "up".

This means that the messages in your 'inbox' are sorted -- oldest message at the top, and newest message at the bottom.

Do you have a lot of messages in your 'inbox', such that there is a "scroll-bar" to the right of the 'Date' column?

Can you "scroll" through the rows of the messages, until you reach the "top" or the "bottom" of the list of messages?

Maybe, new messages are being received, but you need to "scroll" to see them ???

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've tried both the get new messages and clicking on the little down arrow and selecting to download for the specific account. In this case, there is only the one. As far as the number of emails, there is only the one that you see listed.  I can forward that email back to the same email. However when clicking on "get messages" it will not retrieve it. If I quit and restart Thunderbird, it will then automatically download it.

I thought originally that this was a Thunderbird issue, but like I said I tried 2 other email clients and they exhibit the same exact issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 576 1,654
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

>  I can forward that email back to the same email. However when clicking on "get messages" it will not retrieve it.

Just before you click on "Get Messages", disconnect from the Internet (wired? wirelessly?), then click.

Do you get any error-messages when Thunderbird cannot connect?

Then, close Thunderbird, reconnect to the Internet, use WebMail to send a new message to yourself, and immediately close WebMail.

Disconnect from the Internet.

Re-open Thunderbird.  Does it give an error-message when not being able to connect?

Reconnect to the Internet.

Click "Get Messages".

Does that message sent through WebMail now get downloaded?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am going to answer these in the order that you tasked them.

1: disconnect from in.ternet and click get messages.  Failed to connect to server.

1a: Starting T-bird while disconnected from the internetgives the same server error as in number 1

2: use web mail.  I had to do this differently than you stated, otherwise it was self defeating.  I did this 2 different ways which each having a different result.  1: logged into webmail with thunderbird already open.  Send message from webmail, then click get message in T-bird.  Message will download.  Send message from T-bird, then in T-bird click get messages.  Message will download.  2: logout of web based mail, T-bird still open.  Send email from T-bird then click get messages.  T-bird will not down load, unless I quit and restart T-bird.  As T-bird restarts, it downloads the new message.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 576 1,654
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I give up.  I cannot think of any explanation of the behaviour you are reporting, unless it is something related to the specific Internet Service Provider that you are using.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation