sgwst
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 10 after free upgrade

Envy j-111tx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My laptop, originally, came with windows 8.1. If i upgrade my Windows 8.1 to windows 10, now, but later i format my laptop, will I, still, be able to upgrade to windows 10, again, for free?

5 REPLIES 5
Level 11
Level 11
2,564 2,556 312 640
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

According to Microsoft the Free upgrade program is good for 1 year so it should be free, being tht said microsoft has not come up with a plan to stop free upgrades or charge for it as of now, so with the information we have now yes it should be free but it can change,

Hope this helps.

***** Click the Thumbs UP (Like) on the Right to say 'Thanks'*****

****Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution”&"Thumbs up "if it solves your problem.****

-VJ

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

sgwst
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, i understand that. But, suppose, I format my laptop after the free upgradation time period gets over and i want to upgrade to windows 10, again. Will I be able to do that?

0 Kudos
Level 11
Level 11
2,564 2,556 312 640
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That depends on how microsoft will plan the next step if they deside to charge, you may have to pay a nominal fee to upgrade.

Hope this helps.

****Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution”&"Thumbs up "if it solves your problem.****

-VJ

0 Kudos
sgwst
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

that is sad! 😕

0 Kudos
Level 11
Level 11
2,564 2,556 312 640
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Again we don't have the full information at hand, and it all depends on how microsoft wants to play it out in the market, they may still deside to give free upgrade and only charge for new copies of windows 10 purchased, that does not look unlikely  as they are already giving free upgrade for all windows 8 & 8.1 and also some win 7 units 

Hope this helps.

-VJ

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation