Level 1
15 10 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

mysterious file on boot-up

HP Recommended
HP Envy Touchesmart notecbook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since the last Windows update, every time my laptop reboots, a window opens after it boots. The window title says View Downloads - Internet Explorer. A file name is indicated, e86a.bc1bf, and it's prompting to Open or Save. Clicking Open does nothing, clicking Save creates a duplicate file. I've gone into the Downloads folder and deleted this file, and it does the same thing on reboot. Uninstalling recent updates did not resolve the problem. I can't find anything online about this error, or even this file. Not on Microsoft or HP's site. Has anyone seen this issue before?

HP Envy Touchscreen j017cl Notebook

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit

8 REPLIES 8
Photoray002
Level 15
Level 15
12,632 12,414 1,303 4,209
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Olive72

I have not seen this before.

If you go to Internet Explorer > Tools > View Downloads, does that file show up there (not from the popup)?

If so, can you click on the Clear list button on the bottom to see if the popup happens after that?

Example:

clear list.JPG

Also go to Tools > Delete Browsing History and check all the boxes except Passwords and Tracking Protection.

Clear history.JPG

Let me know if it helps.

0 Kudos
Photoray002
Level 15
Level 15
12,632 12,414 1,303 4,209
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is this also the same computer that I see you are having strange issues with the sound muting itself?

If so, did these problems start at the same time?

0 Kudos
Olive72
Author
Level 1
15 10 0 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, as a matter, yes it is, and yes they did. 

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,689
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> every time my laptop reboots, a window opens after it boots.

Hmm.  If I have some open applications on my iPad, and power-off my iPad, and turn it back on, the iPad reloads those applications.  I wonder if Windows is doing the same "restore" ?

> The window title says View Downloads - Internet Explorer. A file name is indicated, e86a.bc1bf, 

Doing a Google-search, I found only two "hits" -- your posting, and one "generic" web-page, that promotes the purchase of some "fix-it" software.

See:   www.VirusTotal.com -- select the file, and "submit" it to over 50(!) different anti-virus programs, to check it.

Can you "right-mouse-click" on the file, and then click 'Edit', to see if it displays any "readable" characters?

0 Kudos
Olive72
Author
Level 1
15 10 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have not tried right-clicking on the file. I will try that, as well as submitting the file name to the website you indicated. Thanks for your input. 

0 Kudos
TRU
Level 2
22 16 0 1
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try this:

1. Download CCleaner https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
  2. Download adwcleaner http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/
  3. Run CCleaner. From the start screen click Tools
  4. The first tab is your startup programs (programs that start at boot duh lol). Disable any you don't recognize
  5. Click the second tab Scheduled Tasks. (these are just about anything from registry keys to files). Disable any you don't recognize. (i believe your "mystery file" would be located here)
  6. Run adwcleaner & follow the prompts. When adwcleaner is finihsed it will have you confirm a reboot to complete the removal.
  7. you can also download and run Malwarebytes AntiMalware Free https://www.malwarebytes.org/free/
  8.  Run CCleaner again. This time stay on the cleaner tab (first tab that's there when you run the program) click "Analyze", then click "Run Cleaner"
  9. Click "Registry" let it run, then click "Fix selected issues"
  10. Reboot
  11. Profit
0 Kudos
Olive72
Author
Level 1
15 10 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Nothing happens when I click Clear. Yes, the file shows up in the Downloads folder. No, clearing the cache did not resolve the problem. Thanks for your suggestions!

0 Kudos
TRU
Level 2
22 16 0 1
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Ok. I wasn't clear. On step 4 and step 5 look for entries you don't recognize. Click on them then click the disable button.
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation