Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
laptop 15-bw0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer (laptop 15-bw0xx) is new & runs way too slow, takes forever to boot & hangs quite often.  I have everything up to date with Microsoft & HP.  I ran a bench mark test & results were terrible.  One of the things was too much running in the back ground.  How do I know what I can disable without making a mess of my computer? 

Windows 10 home 64 bit,  AMD A6-9220 RADEON R4, 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3G, system memory 4GB Samsung 1866MHz, system board 8330 27.33, system bios  F.30

Thanking you in advance for any help.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello @surlygirlie

It would actually help us more if you include the full model or product number. Open the HP Support Assistant and it will give you that info.

What all is running in the background and perhaps we can help you out on what to turn off.

Usually most things in MSCONFIG can be disabled.

If you have several things in the Windows tool tray running, what are they?

: )

HP Recommended

Photoray002

Thank you for responding.  I'm a retited lady and am self taught as far as computers go, so please don't loose patience with me.

1KV27UA#ABA is the product number.   The tool tray (bottom right corner) has these icons:  action center, time, speaker (volume control), wifi, windows defender, battery, hp support assistant,  and 2 hidden:  Trend micro security which will expire in a couple of weeks and the one drive cloud which I have paused until I figure out why I have 2 accounts.  I use Google drive & Google photos.

When I open task mamager,  the performance tab records cpu usage from 48% to 100%  & changes rapidly.  It shows 3 apps open, task manager, Google Chrome (14) & HP support assistant,  56 background processes, & 84 Windows processes.  Is this the info you need?

HP Recommended

In Task Manager, go to the Startup tab. Whats running in there?

Your CPU usage is way to high. Sometimes Chrome is the culprit on that one.

HP Recommended

Here's a screen shot.     

start upstart up

HP Recommended

OK Thanks for that.

A couple of options...

IF this is a brand new computer and you dont have much on it yet, Ive found its easier to simply do a factory recovery and start over (easiest fix). Sometimes the OS can be skewed for what ever reason from factory and re-installing again clears it up.

If you havent made your HP USB Recovery Media yet, you need to do so now. You will need a blank 16GB pen drive.

To make the drive, go to the Start Button and scroll to HP Help and Support > HP Recovery Media Creation

Follow the prompts to create a recovery USB drive.

Note: HP only lets you make one recovery drive, so dont lose it.    ; )

You can use it to reinstall Windows now...

Or

You can try to continue troubleshooting, but might take longer.

IF you are not going to continue with Trend Micro, then get rid of it now.

https://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-us/home/pages/technical-support/maximum-security/1105809.aspx

Then post a screen shot of the Task Manager > Processes and make sure CPU highest to lowest percentage is selected.

HP Recommended

Photoray002

Before I bought this laptop, I read the customer reviews on the Bestbuy wefsite.  A few  people said it was a good idea to reinstall windows because of the junk Microsoft  includes with it.  I never did that because I wasn't sure how.  I need to make sure any pictures, docs or anything else I have on my computer are on Google drive since it will all be lost when I do the reinstall, right?  I'm going to be buying a new jump drive this evening & I will then start the process you gave the instructions for.  Thank you again for your help.

HP Recommended

Well, there are two ways to make a recovery drive.

One way is the HP recovery which will make your system as it was from factory.

That is the way I would recommend you do it, as I gave the instructions above yes.

And if you have any pictures, documents etc, you will want to copy them to another drive also.

NOTE the drive you use for the recovery needs to be a separate drive from the one you copy your personal files to.

IF needed, purchase the 16GB pen drive, and another drive to hold your personal data (if you have any). You will know if you put important pics or documents on your system.

:ThumbUp:

HP Recommended

Photoray002

I uninstalled Trend Micro last night & It improved the performance of my laptop.  I watched the cpu usage in the task manager & Chrome uses a lot at first but the total usage will go down to say maybe 12-19% but changes pretty fast.  I also bought 2 16GB jump drives last night so I will probably begin the process this evening.  When I do this, do I have to do anything with  😧 the recovery drive?  I'm a bit nervous about doing this, so please bear with me.

Thanks

HP Recommended

My situation sounds identical to yours. I have tried everything and spent many hours on updates - win10 and HP, system recovery, file recovery and many other tips I've found on line. I have stripped the laptop down to almost nothing - uninstalled everything I can, and still it is slow. How this PC was shipped is criminal - from many updates needed and corrupted files.

Anyway, my take is that it's all about page loads and the internet - the pc itself seems to run fine and quickly for anything other than internet usage. Clearly something is seriously screwed up. 

Did you ever complete the HP Recovery process? If so did it help? Did the recovery require you to start from scratch and redo all the HP and Windows updates? By the way, I use Norton Security.

Would really appreciate hearing about your progress. I'm going to take one more crack at this this weekend, and if I don't make progress I will return it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.