Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

time and date reset issues

Pavilion dv6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So - I am having an issue with my date and time being automatic settings.... Everytime I close my laptop, the time and date stops on that time/date and needs to be reset each time I open it (I just turn the auto setting off then back on). Is there anything I can do to keep this from happening? My compter often freezes when I try to correct it and I'll occassionally have issues using Internet Explore or Google Chrome saying it isn't safe to proceed to whatever website I'm trying to access (which I've been told can be related to the time and date being incorrect?) Whether that's accurate or not, I don't know - but for what it's worth, resetting the time and date has resolved that issue each time. However, it would still be nice to have a more permanent solution instead of taking the 5 seconds to reset everytime I get on the computer 😉 Any ideas??? 

1 REPLY 1
Provost
Provost
52,748 49,455 9,892 16,584
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

time and date reset issues

Hi,

If the time resets each time you turn the notebook on, then you may need to replace the rtc cell ( cmos battery ) on the system board - this would also explain the security warning you receive on the internet as you notebook believes the current time does not match the validity period of the sites security certificate.

The first thing I'd suggest is to reset the time in the bios menu as follows.

Shutdown the notebook.  Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to enter the Start-up Menu.  Select the Bios option ( f10 ).

You should see that the first field highlighted is the Hour value - adjust this to the correct hour using f5 and f6 ( f5 will decrease the number & f6 will increase it ).  When this is correct, hit Enter to highlight the Minute field and again, use f5 & f6 to set the correct minute.

When done, press the down arrow to highlight the first field of the Date.  This should be for the Month, so use f5 & f6 to enter the correct value.

Hit Enter to highlight the Day field and set this, then hit Enter to highlight the Year field and set this.

If you're happy with the Time and Date settings, press f10 and hit Enter to save these setting and exit the bios menu.

Let windows fully load.  If the correct Date and Time isn't showing, go to the Control Panel and set the correct Date and Time here.

Restart the notebook and check if this has corrected the issue.

If the bios time resets again after a shutdown, then you should replace the rtc cell - if you'd like a guide on replacing this, post back with the full Model No. and Product No. of your dv6 series notebook - you can usually get this by holding down the fn key and pressing esc, otherwise see Here for a guide on locating this information.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation