Tutor
17 13 0 2
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

user account name shortened

spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

During initial setup the system created my login using my email (fullName@domain.com), and from that truncated it to  /users/fullna instead of the standard (and on previous HP machine) /users/fullname.

This breaks several programs which expect the standard complete name for the user directory.

I changed the user account name through control panel to the standard (full) name, but the user files directory is still the truncated name.

This seems to be a common complaint and problem reported in various online forums, but among the many solutions (new accounts, registry editing, ...), none seem to be either dependable or safe.

How can I change /users/fullna to fullname? Again, my HP Pavillion with the same W10 setup and user names, did not do this name truncation for the user files directory.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Provost Provost
Provost
24,004 22,355 1,916 7,036
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@gguthrie

The same thing happened to me the first time I created a login with my Microsoft account.   Rats.

Create the login hierarchy in order:

• Log in to the local account.  Set up programs, install updates, complete whatever tasks you like.

• Windows key > Settings > Accounts > Select "Sign in with my Microsoft Account" (wording varies)

• Restart the system (just to make it neat and clean)

When you create the local account first and then switch to the Microsoft sign-in, your top level folder "sticks" with the original name.   The "owner" of your files is the original account name you selected for the local account.

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
gguthrie Tutor
Tutor
17 13 0 2
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you - but I have already spent multiple hours doing all the setup for the shortened-name account before encountering the problems it caused.

How can I preserve all of this, and still change the diectory name?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
24,004 22,355 1,916 7,036
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@gguthrie

Commentary

In so much that I am aware, Windows is in charge of the File System; it is not something controlled by the brand and/or model of computer.

Changing the account folder ownership hierarchy after the fact may involve an element of uncertainty; you are trying to circumvent the Microsoft Windows File System and it may resist your attempts.  Hence, the risk.

I do sympathize.  I do not have a clear, easy, risk-free method to back-track. 

I do recommend:

• Create an additional account on the computer that provides Admin control
  • Back up the computer to the extent that, should it become necessary, you can recover the File System and your account data

Good Luck.

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
gguthrie Tutor
Tutor
17 13 0 2
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, thanks - agree it is windows, not HP specific, but since it occurred on a new HP machine... (!)

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation