Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre Detachable
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After a few hours of use, the cursor flickers, disappears, jumps randomly on the screen.  This is true for both my bluTooth mouse and the touchpad.  I have updated all drivers and Java.  The problem only clears when I reboot, but reappears after a few hours.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@golpista,

I reviewed your post and I understand that the mouse cursor starts flickering after some time.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you uninstall the touchpad driver from the device manager and then download and install it from the below link.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Here is how it is done.

1. Type "Device Manager" into the search field to open the device manager console.
  2. Expand the node that represents the type of device that you want to uninstall, right-click the device entry, and click Uninstall.
  3. On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click OK to start the uninstall process.
  4. When the uninstall process is complete, remove the device.

NOTE: On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click the Delete the driver software for this device option to delete the driver package that was used for the device.

If you continue facing the issue, then install all the Windows updates (Including optional) and check.

Here is how it is done.

1. Select the Start (Windows) button from the bottom-left corner.
  2. Go to settings (gear icon).
  3. Select the Update and Security icon.
  4. Choose Windows Update tab in the sidebar (Circular arrows)
  5. Select Check for updates. If there is an available update, it will begin downloading automatically.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried what you suggested.  I will see if that fixes the problem.  When I was in Device Manager, I noticed that there is a spurious mouse on the list of attached devices.  I have only the touch pad and 1 blue tooth mouse attached, but it shows a second mouse at Location 0.  I have no idea what this means.  I tried deleting that mouse, but when I reboot, it reappears.  I suspect that this might be causing the problem, perhaps by creating some kind of conflict.  Have you any ideas about this second mouse?

Thanks for your help so far,

David

HP Recommended

Update,

Less than 2 minutes after I sent the above reply, the problem with the flickering mouse has reappeared.   This makes me more confident that the problem is from the secondary mouse, not the touch pad.  I really need help with this, as using the laptop is very difficult with this constant problem.

HP Recommended

@golpista,

I recommend you check if the issue is resolved by disconnecting the Bluetooth mouse.

Also, send me a screenshot of the device manager.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I deleted both the Blue Tooth and the other mouse.  When I rebooted, both were back.  I then deleted the second mouse.  Since I have done that, the problem disappeared.  This further convinces me that the spurious mouse is causing the problem.  Where is that being loaded from and how can I stop that from happening?  I don't want to have to go to the device manager every time I turn on the laptop.

David

HP Recommended

@golpista,

Usually, when you connect a new mouse to the computer, Windows automatically installs the driver for it to make sure that the device works properly and it is difficult to say when the other driver is showing up in the device manager.

Having said that, I am glad to know that the issue is resolved.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No. The problem persists.  Even with the blutooth mouse removed and the battery removed, it still installs the ghost mouse at Location 0.  What is Location 0?  Why does it do this? 

HP Recommended

@golpista

Thank you for posting back.

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I would suggest performing system factory reset will put the computer back to the original factory settings in this way all corrupted and outdated software will be removed. 

While doing the recovery there is an option to backup your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows )You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.