Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Black display screen randomly

Envy x360 m6 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

For the past few weeks my laptop display has randomly gone black while I'm doing things on my computer. No matter what I try to do through touching the track pad will do anything to change the black screen. I took it to Geek Squad for them to only tell me they couldn't do anything so they were of no help. If anyone could help me out that would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9,855 9,844 922 1,542
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, @bkumm3 – Hope you are well 🙂

Thank you for becoming an HP Forum member. It is a great location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others!

Going through your post, I understand that your HP Envy convertible display is going black randomly. To isolate the issue further, I would like to know the following details:

1. Does the screen black out happening very frequently or is it very random?
  2. Is it happening while you working on any particular program or while on Internet?
  3. Is there a time frame for screen black outs? For e.g. within 5 minutes of logging to windows.

While awaiting for your reply, I would also suggest you perform a hardware test to determine the issue is with the product hardware or software. Here is how you can test the same:

1. Turn on the computer and repeatedly press the Esc key to enter the Startup Menu. 
  2. Now press the F2 key to access HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu. 
  3. Go to Component Tests, then click on Video/Video memory test. 
  4. Click Run Once to initiate the test. 

Thanks, I look forward to hearing back from you!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,
To answer your question:
1: the screen randomly goes black but it's quite frequently, about every 5-10 minutes from the last time it would black screen.
2: it honestly happens whenever, it's not any specific time or program. I might be typing an essay or even gaming but it has no preference for program when it will go black.
3: it can happen anywhere from even when I'm going to sign onto my computer to any time after I log in. I'm not quite sure an exact time frame
I ran a diagnostics test on my video memory. It passed in both areas
0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9,855 9,844 922 1,542
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, @bkumm3

Appreciate your efforts 🙂

Did you update the display drivers on your PC? If not follow the steps here to update the display/video drivers: http://bitly.com/2noFJVx 

Restart the PC once done.

If the issue still persists, you can use the System restore feature to try and restore your PC to a point before the issue initially started. 

System Restore automatically creates restore points, a memory of the system files and settings on the computer at a particular point in time. Then, when you use System Restore to restore your computer to a point in time before an issue began, System Restore returns your computer to the files and settings from the restore point. Your personal files and documents are not affected.

Go to http://hp.care/2bS4d95 and follow the steps under “Restore your computer when Windows cannot start normally”.

Let me know if that helps!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The people at geek squad actually updated my drivers when I had checked in my laptop with them. However I will try to restore it. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I only found a restore point from 3 days ago, however the problem has been going on for at least a week. What happens if the restore doesn't work? Like what do I do if that doesn't work?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I received an error message saying that the restore didn't complete successfully because of an unknown error
0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9,855 9,844 922 1,542
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, @bkumm3

I guess the next step is to perform a complete recovery on your PC to try and format the machine to its factory state. Back up the necessary files before you attempt the recovery.

This option reformats the system drive (usually C:), reinstalls the original operating system and reinstalls all the original hardware drivers and software. All you save files will be lost and your computer will be formatted to the day you purchased the machine.

Go to http://hp.care/2d8t85o and follow the steps under "Recovery when Windows 10 does not start correctly" to perform the recovery.

Let me know if that helps!

Good luck 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation