Flag Post

Brightness changing by itself, even with Adaptive Brightness disabled

HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15-ac113cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Notebook - TOUCH, ENERGY STAR

Model #: 15-ac113cl

Windows 10, 64-bit

As of the last couple of days, my laptop's brightness has seemingly been changing by itself. It's been increasing so much that it almost looks like it's in grayscale. The brightness fluctuates every 3-4 seconds or so, becoming extremely bright, and then slowly returning to normal. This happens both while the laptop is plugged in, and when it is not. 

I have Googled this using every phrasing I could possibly think of, and have yet to find anyone else with my same problem. I have seen some forum posts about fluctuating brightness, but the responses all said to either disable Adaptive Brightness, or to disable Power Saving Technology in the Intel HD Graphics control panel. In my case, both of these settings were already disabled.

I have downloaded both a new screen saver and a new Chrome extension in the last few days, and I removed them both, thinking that one of them HAD to be the cause of this problem - no such luck. 

Some comments I've seen have suggested that it might be the battery. For context, I sent my laptop in for repair about 2 months ago and they replaced the battery, repaired the charging port, and sent a new charger cord. I've had no issues with any of the replacement parts. Also, I've done 2 battery tests in the last ~48 hours; the first said everything was fine, and the second said that the battery was functioning properly but needs to be calibrated, which I haven't done yet.

If you have any idea what the problem might be, please help me. The brightness changes are so distracting that barely been able to use the laptop, and I need it for school. I'm not very knowledgable about computers, but I have tried to give as much detail as I can so that hopefully someone can help. 

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 9
1,978 1,975 183 586
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Looks like you have done couple of troubleshooting so from my point of view:

1. You might have a screen protector, plastic covering or comething in front of Proximity Sensor (Located normally beside webcam) which is causing issue.

2. Dirt on the Proximity Sensor.

If the above two are clear then I would run a system diagnostic and System Recovery at the last.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467259

Finally:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04758961

Wish you luck,
Karthik

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did have some paper covering the webcam area, but I removed it and cleaned the area, and am still having the issue, so I don't think that was the cause.

I did a System Reset last night, which said that it would "refresh the PC without affecting personal files" but the problem persists. I then did 2 diagnostic tests: one Quick, and one Fast. I didn't have time to do the Extensive, but might later today. 

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation