Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17-n100 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to purchase a 27" external monitor to use with my Envy 17-n100 laptop with Intel HD 530 graphics and Nvidia GeForce GTX 950M discrete graphics. Can this laptop drive 2560x1440 resolution? If not, what resolutions can it drive?

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I also have never seen such a list. Using the adapter properties method in Windows with the discrete video connected to a display is also the only way I am aware of determining the resolutions available. 

With what you have done at Best Buy, you now know that it will produce the 2560x1440 @60Hz.  60Hz is the refresh rate.

Wasn't that the information you wanted in the first place?

I have three displays on this desktop using a Radeon RX580  Gaming X with 8GB. The resolution is 5760x1080 and two of the connections are HDMI and the third is Display Port.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

While logged into Windows 10, right-click an empty area on the desktop. Select display settings in the menu that appears.

At the bottom of the Display screen click on Advanced Display settings. Now you will see the maximum possible resolution the video adapter can display.

The short answer is yes. Use the HDMI output to connect to a display capable of 2560x1440 resolution.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I clicked on Settings->System->Display->Display Adapter Properties->List All Modes and saw a long list of supported resolutions.  However, this list varies depending on what display is attached to the HDMI port. With no display attached, the highest resolution is 1920x1080 60 Hz which is used to drive the laptop's integrated LCD. When I attached a 4K monitor, many more resolutions appeared in this list going up to 3840x2160 30 Hz. 2560x1440 was not in the list at any refresh rate. However, I went to Best Buy today and connected to a 2560x1440 display there and then that resolution at 60 Hz appeared in the List All Modes list. All 3840x2160 modes were gone.

I would like to find a list of all supported resolutions. I'm not sure it's published anywhere.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I also have never seen such a list. Using the adapter properties method in Windows with the discrete video connected to a display is also the only way I am aware of determining the resolutions available. 

With what you have done at Best Buy, you now know that it will produce the 2560x1440 @60Hz.  60Hz is the refresh rate.

Wasn't that the information you wanted in the first place?

I have three displays on this desktop using a Radeon RX580  Gaming X with 8GB. The resolution is 5760x1080 and two of the connections are HDMI and the third is Display Port.

HP Recommended

There many be other resolutions I want to support in the future on the HP Envy 17-n100. It would be helpful if I could look at a list of supported resolutions instead of having to find a monitor with the resolution of interest and connect my computer to it to see if it works.

I have another laptop that I am also trying to buy a monitor for and am having the same problem with it, not knowing which resolutions it can support.

I appreciate your help though.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.