Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can't install AMD Catalyst Control Center

HP Probook 4540s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have tried several times to install AMD Catalyst Control Center on my HP Probook 4540s. I could not do it.

Installer starts to install the CCC, but it suddenly stops and says the installing has finished successfully. When I check the log file, there is not any warning or error messages in it. 

I googled this problem. There are some solutions on this site and others. They say these are useful to solve the problem. But these solutions could not solve my problem.

For example, I uninstalled all graphic drivers and tried to reinstall these in the given order.  Again, CCC could not be installed. It seems to be but it did not.

It is getting really annoying, because the games and other programs which use GPU (OpenCL etc.) can not detect AMD video card.

Please help me to solve it, I will be very grateful. Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Provost Provost
Provost
16239 16182 1509 3599
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@myteril

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

The AMD driver install utility is known for having problems when you try to Update an existing driver.  AMD instructions indicate that the previous driver must be installed prior to the new one -- but their uninstaller does not always remove all the remnants of the old driver -- and this cause problems when installing the new one.

I upgrade my AMD Win10 drivers frequently and have found, through trial and error, that the following is the best way to do this:

1) Use the freeware Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to remove all remnants of the AMD driver:  http://www.wagnardsoft.com/

NOTE: You will need to boot into Safe mode to do this properly:  http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2304-safe-mode-start-windows-10-a.html

2) Then, reboot your PC and use the AMD Clean Utility:  http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Clean-Uninstall-Utility.aspx

3) Reboot your PC -- as you then see will use a generic display driver -- and install ONLY the AMD driver from the HP website, NOT from AMD.

This is the HP product page for your PC:  http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5229456&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4192

Select Windows 64-bit and download the AMD drivers file and run it.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
myteril Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the answer!

But it did not help me. I tried to install CCC in this way. I have done the things in the list one by one. When the installer was about to install AMD video drivers, the screen turned black and the computer began to run at full capacity, the fan also. After a while, I stopped the installing by shutdowning the computer. I rebooted the computer, but saw nothing was changed. CCC was not installed, AMD drivers too. I tried to apply the list again and again, the result was the same.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
16239 16182 1509 3599
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did you follow ALL of the steps -- including running DDU first, rebooting and then running the AMD clean utility?

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
myteril Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Absolutely yes, as well as more than one. At the installing CCC, the black screen issue came up.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation