Jess704 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Certain keys were typing multiple characters. Un-installed Keyboard, big mistake...

HP 15-ac122ds
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

HP 15-ac122ds Laptop. Certain keys were typing multiple characters.

I think my keyboard needed to be replaced, but I figured I would try some trouble shooting suggestions posted in an article 

by HP. I chose the wrong suggestion to try. Which was my fault, "un-install keyboard drive and restart computer."

My computer never restarted! I have a black screen after "restarting" and without the keyboard working, I have no idea how to proceed. 

Any work arounds? 

1 REPLY
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12360 1161 2305
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Certain keys were typing multiple characters. Un-installed Keyboard, big mistake...

Hi!

Welcome to HP Forums a great way to get support.  Thanks for the post. I would like to assist you.

I understand that there were keyboard issues after which  you uninstalled the keyboard drivers and the unit goes to a black screen.

Please perform a hard reset first.

Steps to do it:

• Power down the computer and unplug the charger. Then  remove the battery.
  • Hold down the power button of the unit for 15 seconds to discharge static electrical charges inside the machine.
  • Replace the battery and reconnect the charger. Try to power on the computer.

If these steps work and the computer boots back up then use this link to troubleshoot the keyboard issue.

Please check for these symptoms in the link that matches your situation.

• Pressing keys does nothing (keyboard is not working)
  • Key presses are slow to respond
  • Pressing a key once types several characters
  • Function keys do not work
  • Computer beeps while typing
  • Wrong characters appear when typing, changing keyboard language, or Dvorak
  •  Stuck notebook key

Link forHP Notebook PCs - Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting (Windows 10, 8):

http://hp.care/2c1u1LL

If the computer does not boot back up connect an external keyboard and try a system restore from the Recovery partition after performing a hard reset on your computer again.

Link for "system restore" from Recovery manager.

http://hp.care/2c1uFJx

Use  this step from the link- "Restore your computer when Windows cannot start normally"

Please do not create any system restore points.

Hope this works! Please let me know how this goes. 

Thanks and have a splendid week ahead.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation