Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
14-cf1506sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I need to connect two external screens to my Laptop. I have one connected through the HDMI port and I have been trying to connect the second through the USB-C port using a HDMI to USC adaptor like this one https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-usb-c-to-hdmi-2.0/17106136. I have also downloaded the driver.

However, this does not work and I get an error message stating 'Display Connection might be limited...'. 

Please can you let me know what is the best solution to connecting to external monitors to this laptop?

Thanks 🙂

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Stefarah Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are getting an error message Display Connection might be limited while connecting the USB C type to HDMI.

I have checked the manual 

The USB C type port: Connects a USB device, such as a cell phone, camera, activity tracker, or smartwatch, and provides data transfer.

NOTE: Cables and/or adapters (purchased separately) may be required.

Unfortunately, it will not support to connect the external display.

For more information about USB C type Please see the following link.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hi Praveen,

Thanks for your reply. As USB-C is not the correct port - Please can you assist on how I am able to connect two separate monitors to my laptop. One is connected through the HDMI, how can I connect the second monitor?

The setup needs to show my an extended screen on two monitors and not duplicate the screen.

Thanks

HP Recommended

@Stefarah

I understand your concerns.

You can try with HDMI splitters and check.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Hi Praveen,

I have already tried an HDMI splitter and this only allows to duplicate the screen and not extend it.

With an old style HP laptop the solution would be to use the HDMI port and the VGA port for each screen separately. However, in the newer laptop the VGA port has been removed. What is the solution to extend the screen in this new model?

Thanks

HP Recommended

@Stefarah 

The HDMI splitters will work.

You have to change the display settings.

Under the "Multiple displays" section, use the drop-down menu to set the appropriate viewing mode, including:

• Duplicate desktop — Shows duplicate desktop according to the description.
  • Extend — Expands the primary desktop to the display currently selected.
  • Disconnect this display — Turn off the selected monitor.

Windows 10 expand monitor settings

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Hi Praveen,

Thanks for your help so far. 

I have connected the displays up using a HDMI splitter as in the photos. However, when I go onto the display settings it does not detect multiple screens at all - there is not an option to extend the screens as you suggest,

Please can you assist in this case?

ThanksIMG-1785.JPGIMG-1786.JPGAnnotation 2020-01-29 100351.png

HP Recommended

@Stefarah 

I understand your concerns.

Please update the graphics drivers and update the BIOS.

Please click the below link to download the drivers.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

If the issue still persists, perform the system reset and check for the issue.

Also, please try with a new user account and check.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.