Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 17.3 inch Laptop PC 17-cp0000 (2Q7W9AV)

Hello Community,

my laptop HP 17-cp0278ng (2Q7W9AV) has a weird problem with screen brightness. It is working fine in Windows 11, but

the brightness is half in any OS that uses generic drivers, as recovery boot sticks which are using standard VGA driver or Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. Also alternative OSes like AROS, ReactOS which are using generic drivers, and even the EFI BIOS Setup, are dim and brightness is not adjustable.

Yes, this is the reason why i am asking. I frequently tryed different alternative OSes, in the past, but with this device it is impossible, because dim screen are stressing my eyes.

The update to the last BIOS version did not fix the problem. I believe It can only be fixed by a newer bios update, as there are no brightness settings available in BIOS setup.

I also tried CMOS Reset and BIOS Reset. Also contacted HP Support, but the supporter was not able to help.

Is there any hint what to do, except to wait and hope that there will be a fixed BIOS?

Greetings,

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @CybotronX,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix:

Go into Windows Control Panel>>Power Options>>Power Management, Select adjust plan brightness, Use the slider, and increase until the end. Click save changes.

Or use Fn key + F10 Key to increase the brightness.

And, also refer to this video link: Click here Troubleshooting a Dim Display

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Hi @Alden4,

thank you for trying to help.

As you may see in my question, there is no problem with brightness in Windows, but in any OS that uses generic drivers like AROS, ReactOS etc. and even in the BIOS Settings screens.

I am asking for a fixes BIOS or meanwhile....Is there a secret Key combination which is enabling an extended BIOS Menu? If there is an extended BIOS Menu options, maybe there is also a brightness Control...

Greetings...

HP Recommended

Hi @CybotronX,

Welcome to the HP support community.

Please help us with the laptop serial number or the product number on a private message for further assistance.

Here is the link to find the product number:- Click here

Alden4
HP Support

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.