Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 17 BY 003
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just recently my touchpad is clicking on things as I navigate, the Elan touchpad app has all the various types of finger taps not enabled and is set to low sensitivity but this makes no difference, even when I was on the drop down lists on this page it kept clicking on stuff! It is very frustrating and it never did this before.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @CARRIE36,

I'd like to help!

To disable the Double Tap to Enable or Disable TouchPad feature, open the TouchPad tab in Mouse Properties.

1. Click Start , and then type mouse in the search field.

2. Click Change your mouse settings.

3. Click Additional mouse options.

Clicking on Additional mouse options

4. In Mouse Properties, click the TouchPad tab.

NOTE: 

Some HP notebooks have an HP Control Zone tab. If your notebook has this tab, open it and click HP Control Zone Disable.

If the properties window does not have a TouchPad option, then the TouchPad functionality is not available.

5. Uncheck Double Tap to Enable or Disable TouchPad.

NOTE: 

If the option is not available on the Mouse Properties window, click Settings to open the Synaptics Control Panel. On the Click tab, uncheck Double Tap to Enable or Disable TouchPad.

6. Click Apply, and then click OK

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Sorry Jay, there is no touchpad option anywhere in the mouse settings and the touchpad setting in the devices menu simply says to lower the sensitivity if the pad clicks whilst scrolling (it is on the lowest setting already), there is no option to disable tap to click.

The Elan touchpad App also has every tap option unticked/disabled, none of this makes any difference, it still clicks as I'm scrolling - it's really annoying!

HP Recommended

@CARRIE36

I recommend you uninstall the touchpad driver from the device manager and then download and install it from the below link and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Here is how it is done.

1. Type "Device Manager" into the search field to open the device manager console.
  2. Expand the node that represents the type of device that you want to uninstall, right-click the device entry, and click Uninstall.
  3. On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click OK to start the uninstall process.
  4. When the uninstall process is complete, remove the device.

NOTE: On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click the Delete the driver software for this device option to delete the driver package that was used for the device.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.