Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JxB1000
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

External monitor will not display or goes into sleep mode when connected to laptop

HP Envy 15t-K000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I routinely use a second monitor but these last few weeks either the laptop doesn't recognize the 2nd monitor or else it does briefly and then the monitor blanks and goes into low power/power saving mode.  Same issue with two different monitors.  There is no problem with the laptop's built-in display.

After researching, I suspect it is a by-product of the recent Windows 10 update.  Mixed advice on solutions.  

• I tried updating all my drivers from Windows Device Manager.
  • Several posts recommended going to manufacturer (intel) and downloading drivers THERE. Its automatic utility did not detect a current driver, but under older versions there was one from about a year ago. (I didn't try to install.)
  • I've changed power settings so have monitor "always on". No difference.
  • Via HP Support page - I followed instructions to successfully update BIOS (from 2014 to 2016)
  • Checked/updated all drivers from HP site.

What else can I try? This is really frustrating.

1 REPLY 1
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,905
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

External monitor will not display or goes into sleep mode when connected to laptop

Hi @JxB1000,

Welcome to the HP Forum! 🙂 I am pleased that you have become a HP Forum member. It is such a wonderful site to find answers and tips. Here is a link to guide you to having the most rewarding experience and answer any concerns about posting: First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More

I see that you were routinely using an external monitor without issues until a few weeks ago. Now the additional monitor is not being recognized. Occasionally will be briefly recognized before blanking out. You have tried another monitor but there was no change. As this occurred after a Windows update, you think that may have been the cause.  Have you tried using a different cable to rule that possibility out? Here is a link to HP Notebook PCs - Connecting a Monitor, Projector, or TV (Windows 10, 8, 7) that may help. If the issue remains you could try doing  a restore back to before the update, or you could try uninstalling the update.  How to Uninstall and Block Updates and Drivers on Windows 10(from How-To Geek) This is a third party site and any ads on the page are not endorsed by HP.

To express appreciation for my post please click the Thumbs Up Icon”.  If my post resolves the issue you are experiencing, please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find what worked for you!

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation