cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Fingerprint Scanner not working but SimplePass thinks it does.

HP Recommended
Envy 15 2013 model
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So earlier today, I logged into my computer seamlessly with the fingerprint scanner multiple times. Then, all of a sudden, the light has stopped working and I can't login with the scanner no matter how many times I attempt it. I've opened up simplepass, and it seems to think there's no problem with it. When I try to register a new finger, it simply gives me the directions and says 0% (no "not connected" or anything like that). When I swipe my finger it doesn't recognize it, though, and it stays at 0% until I press cancel. What should I do. I've already rebooted the computer and that hasn't seemed to work.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
1,071 1,006 54 138
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @neatC,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I have read your post and see that the finger print reader on your HP Envy 15 notebook is not working.I would like to help you solve this issue.

Were any updates installed around the time that the finger print reader stopped working?

Has there been any new software or hardware installations?

Please begin troubleshooting with a hard reset. After that, follow the steps from this troubleshooting document:

HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting a Fingerprint Reader

(I'm aware that it is a Windows 8 document but most of the steps will be the same for Windows 10)

For specific information, please provide the product number.

Finding Your HP Product Number

I look forward to your reply! If this information is useful, click the thumbs up.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation