Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 8770w Base Model Mobile Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In the Camera application, the integrated webcam displays live camera images in the photo mode, but hangs and produces nothing in the video mode. This is repeatable in other applications that require video such as Zoom. The hardware seems fine, but based on reading in various forums, it seems a Windows 10 Update some time ago "broke" the driver.

The driver is listed as from Sonix. I have tried various drivers, including the HP Universal Camera drivers (present and past version). None bring video back.

I have found a softpaq of the Windows 7 drivers (sp58839) that would have been the original drivers used. (I think) Various forums suggest restoring the original driver.

Thoughts on all this, please ... and if I can use the Win7 driver, how do I do that (SAFELY!) from that kit?

Many thanks!

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Hello @Jeronymite1 

Sorry to hear that you are having problems ... I would like to help you.

Let me check your current system configuration before we look at the webcam issue ...

(1) Run    msinfo32

- Select <System Summary>:

--->>> Copy/paste following key/value pairs:

OS Name

Version

System Model

System SKU ( equals HP product number (p/n) )

Processor

BIOS Version/Date

(2Please report your results

HP Recommended

Hi @Ub6424

Thanks for your response.

Information you requested:

OS Name:  Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Version:  10.0.19044 Build 19044

System Model:  HP EliteBook 8770w

System SKU:  A7G08AV

Processor:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3920XM CPU @ 2.90GHz, 3101 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date:  BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard 68IAV Ver. F.71, 19-Apr-19

Looking forward to resolving this issue.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hello @Jeronymite1 

(1) Please send <hardware IDs> of camera

How to Find Drivers for Unknown Devices in the Device Manager

(2) Please report your results

HP Recommended

Thanks @Ub6424.

Hardware IDs are:

USB\VID_04F2&PID_B230&REV_5171&MI_00
USB\VID_04F2&PID_B230&MI_00

Note the device driver (currently) is:

Jeronymite1_0-1663228222947.png

... and the Properties indicate the device is "working properly".

This driver is one of several I have tried, all with the same unsatisfactory result.

Thanks again for your kind assistance.

HP Recommended

Hello @Jeronymite1 

(1) Please switch camera driver

Microsoft Documentation --->>> Camera doesn't work in Windows

See section <Switch to UVC driver

Quote: " Switch to UVC driver

Most available USB webcams are UVC (standard USB Video Class) compatible cameras. They will work with the UVC driver that is included in Windows (the in-box UVC driver). If your webcam is not working correctly, swapping to the in-box UVC driver may resolve the issue. Please follow the steps below to change drivers (admin rights are required).

Note: The in-box UVC driver may not support all the features of your camera. For example, Windows Hello face recognition may no longer work if it was supported by the camera manufacturer's driver using custom USB extensions not supported by the in-box driver.

1. Select Start , type device manager, then select it from the search results.

2. Find the problem webcam from the list of devices shown in the Device Manager. It should appear either under Cameras or Imaging devices.

3. Right-click the webcam device and select Update driver.

4. Select Browse my computer for drivers.

5. Select Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.

6. Select USB Video Device and then select Next to complete the driver update.

7. Select Close to acknowledge settings choices and go back to Device Manager. The webcam will now appear under the Cameras category in the Device Manager list.

"

(2) Please report your results

HP Recommended

Thanks again, @Ub6424.

Interestingly, I had come across that article and did exactly that before, with the same results. Nevertheless, I did that again and the same outcome. One thing I noticed this time though, because it is night-time now, is that the camera-is-on indicator light is illumined when in the photo mode, but goes off when switching to the ("broken") video mode.

I came across this thread earlier, which is what pointed me to that doc. The final post in this thread (by @Ctrl77) is most interesting, as it basically says "strip back to the very first installed driver":  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/HP-HD-Webcam-Fixed/m-p/5734683 

HP Recommended

Wondering if anyone has further advice on this? Perhaps advice on how to safely extract the original driver from the Win7 driver kit mentioned above and install it?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hello @Jeronymite 

(1) Download and install

HP Universal Camera Driver

2021.0.19041.14 Rev.A

60.6 MB

Sep 30, 2021

Download

(2) You will find all extracted drivers in directory c:\SWSetup\sp135651

(3) Please report your results

HP Recommended

Kit downloaded and installed without issue. The video function is still "broken". Is there any need to take further action related to this kit? For example, run any of the provided setup.exe files?

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.