Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I'm also having this issue, with both the HP pen and the Microsoft Surface 2018 pen. In the past, I noticed that I had the "most" problems when the screen was at 100% brightness. Setting it to 75% or less seemed to help. In fact, for a while, I had pretty consistent performance at 50% brightness, with the laptop unplugged.

However, lately since the latest updates, it's skipping again consistently, probably 1 out of every 10 letters.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@akarogi

Welcome to the HP Forums,

We'll be with you until it's all sorted & beyond!

Did you check if your PC supports or is compatible with a Stylus?

(Click here to verify and confirm, if you haven't done it yet)

If it isn't compatible you can always go for a passive stylus as that's supported by all devices.

If it is supported and yet doesn't work, try the below steps to install the latest firmware/update:

1. Go to the HP Software & Driver Downloads page.

2. Type your model number in the Enter your HP product name, product number or serial number box, for example, HP Spectre 15-bl000 x360 Convertible PC, and then click Find.

If a list of model numbers displays, select your model number from the list.

The Software and driver results in page for your model displays.

3. Make sure the Detected operating system is correct. If necessary, click Change, select your operating system and version, and then click Change.

4. Click Firmware.

5. If a firmware update is available for the touchscreen, click Download next to the update.

6. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the firmware update.

Let me know how that pans out

I will have a colleague follow-up on this to ensure it's taken care off, in case you don't respond in the next 24-48hrs,

As I need to know if the issue has been resolved, to get proper sleep at night.

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon,

Followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' as it would help the community gain more knowledge and have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My model is "HP Spectre x360 - 13-ac036tu".  I see that there are a couple of firmware updates, but it doesn't look like they have anything to do with touchscreen drivers (wouldn't those been installed through the HP Support Assistant? I've kept everything up to date through there). Here's the drivers page: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-spectre-13-ac000-x360-convertible-pc/14039877/mo...

It's frustrating, sometimes the pen works without issue. Today, I'm having trouble reproducing the skipping issue and I can't figure out why. But it's really inconsistent. Today it works, tomorrow it might skip again every few words,  andI have to pause and go back to over a letter to complete it.   It's so inconsistent, that I have never been able to trust it enough to use it for work. Every time I've tried to use the pen to take notes in meetings, for example, something goes wrong and it's not reliable. It's the same story with the HP stylus that came with it out of the box, and I've also bought and returned a Microsoft Surface Pen, which works great...when it's working.

It's to the point that I "wish" I had bought a Microsoft Surface Pro, and also to the point where I "did" buy an iPad with Apple Pencil support, just for note taking because I can't trust the Spectre. 

HP Recommended

Hi @akarogi, I am the Mr.Robot. It looks like you were interacting with @Riddle_Decipher, but he is out of the office today, so I'll take over from here.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

Please try the steps recommended below and check if it helps.

If the pen does not write consistently while your fist or palm is touching the screen, make sure the pen tip is 5mm or farther from the point where your hand is contacting the screen.

Try few troubleshooting steps below and check if it helps.

Reinstall the original touchscreen device driver that came installed on your computer using the following steps:

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

2. Expand the Human Interface Devices heading.

3.The touchscreen device is labeled HID-compliant touch screen, or similar. Right-click the touchscreen device and select Uninstall.

4. Confirm the uninstallation.

5. Restart the computer to reinstall the touchscreen driver.

Also, update the BIOS and graphics driver on your PC and check if it helps.

You can try updating the drivers using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

Also, refer this article to further troubleshoot Stylus Pen Is Inaccurate or Stops Working issues. Click Here

Hope this answers your query

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.