Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 14-ce1003nm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello people, I am having a display glitching problem with this laptop and I think that it is related to the gpu driver.

I attached recorded video of glitching that occurs randomly.

As of time of writing, there is no HP provided driver for the windows version 1903 so I am using latest gpu driver version from the intel website.

What should I do, and how to determine if the problem is within igpu (hardware) or in driver (software)?

Does HP provide updated driver for 1903, should I install driver for the 1809 version of windows?

I do not think that problem is related with actual display because glitching occurs randomly and movement of display (back and forth) have no impact on glitching once it starts. Once the glitching starts, one restart or going to sleep mode is enough for it to stop.

Specs of my laptop are:

i3 8145U processor, iGPU Intel UHD620 only, 8GB of ram, 128GBSSD and 1TB hdd.

Windows is 1903 Education version and also I have latest bios firmware (F.19 Rev.A as of time of writing).

Laptop was bought without installed OS, it had FreeDOS.

Video of glitching is here: https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ao87uKyrja6ugm30BzaCm1tN1PAA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@delta38 I appreciate the details and the hardware diagnostics tool is out windows, therefore if the there weren't glitching on it, this could be a software issue with the OS and not the hardware, considering the h/w tests have passed as well, the update you've done should resolve the issue permanently, if the issue persists, please create a new user account and check if that works.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@delta38 Welcome to HP Community!

It does seem like an issue with the GPU and the best way to identify the issue is by running an extensive hardware test using the below steps:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

Also, check if the video glitch occurs while you are on the BIOS screen (tap on F10 during restart to access it).

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, I don't have option for extended test, please look at attached images.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao87uKyrja6ugm--PpvrAekgtR7a

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao87uKyrja6ugm6yRbcyI4soqmKn

HP Recommended

@delta38 You may want to install the HP UEFI Hardware diagnostics tool on your device before the test can be available: Click here for details 

(Normally, HP support assistant would install this, but it looks like it hasn't been installed by default on your PC)

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher - I installed HP UEFI Hardware diagnostics tool and ran extensive test. I let it ran 2 loops, each loop took around 3 hours to complete. Results are all OK. See below:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao87uKyrja6ugnCccgqiH-5anGNU

I suspect that problem is of software nature.

For now I have uninstalled latest intel gpu driver (26.20.100.7000) with DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) from safe mode, and I have let windows install intel gpu driver through windows update service. Currently installed version of intel gpu driver is: 25.20.100.6471.

I will try to see in next few days if the problem occurs and report it here.

EDIT: Correction - I just saw that there is a hp provided intel driver for windows 1903 version (25.20.100.6617 Rev.E) - strange it didn't appeared earlier when I was looking for it - is it because site is under upgrade?

Anyway I installed that version and will wait to see if problem occurs.

I saw no problems with video during extensive test also.

HP Recommended

@delta38 I appreciate the details and the hardware diagnostics tool is out windows, therefore if the there weren't glitching on it, this could be a software issue with the OS and not the hardware, considering the h/w tests have passed as well, the update you've done should resolve the issue permanently, if the issue persists, please create a new user account and check if that works.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Just to update community with new information.

Laptop was defective after all.

What I found out was that on Linux problem was not reproduced during 2 weeks of heavy usage.

On windows 10, when the glitching occurred I could stop glitching by going to Intel Graphics Command center and forcing a 40Hz refresh rate for the laptop display. That always stopped glitching and there were no problems afterwards but refresh rate is 40Hz so no 60fps videos or games etc...
This glitching was present in all intel gpu drivers: HP provided one, Windows update provided one and latest Intel driver from Intel website.

Anyway, I successfully claimed warranty and got refund. Hope this information helps someone.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.