Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15s-fq1003na

For the last few weeks, after not using my laptop for a few days, once I log on, the screen flashes black on and off. But then stays black if I'm not moving my mouse.  Its very intermittent as sometimes, like now it works fine.  I have ran systems tests and all have passed.  Is there a way to stop this from happening?

Many thanks

Michelle

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Michelle722,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you're experiencing a somewhat complex issue with your laptop. Given the symptoms you've described, a few different factors could be at play. Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can take to try and resolve the issue:

Update Graphics Drivers: Sometimes, outdated or corrupted graphics drivers can cause display issues, including screen flickering. Check the Hp website for your graphics card (e.g., NVIDIA, AMD, Intel) for the latest drivers and install them.

Check Power Settings: Since you mentioned the screen stays black when you're not moving the mouse, it might be related to your power settings. Go into your Control Panel or Settings app and look under "Power Options" or "System -> Power & Sleep" to adjust the screen timeout settings and see if that changes anything.

External Display Test: If you have an external monitor or TV that you can connect your laptop to, try that. If the issue persists on an external display, it's likely a graphics card or driver issue. If it doesn't, the laptop's screen or its connections might be at fault.

Safe Mode and Clean Boot: Booting into Safe Mode can help determine if third-party software is causing the issue. If the problem doesn't occur in Safe Mode, you can perform a clean boot to try and isolate the offending software. A clean boot starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs, which can help you identify the cause.

• To Enter Safe Mode in Windows: Restart your computer and press the F8 key (or Shift + F8 on some systems) as it boots. Select "Safe Mode" from the Advanced Boot Options menu.
  • To Perform a Clean Boot: Type "msconfig" in the Start menu search box and press Enter. Go to the "Services" tab, check "Hide all Microsoft services", and then click "Disable all". Next, go to the "Startup" tab and disable all startup items. Restart your computer.

Hardware Diagnostics: Although you've run system tests that all passed, it might be worth running a specific hardware diagnostic test for your display if your laptop Hp provides one. Sometimes, generic system tests might not catch all hardware issues.

Click Here

Check for Overheating: Overheating can cause various performance issues, including screen flickering. Ensure your laptop's air vents are not blocked, and if possible, use compressed air to blow out any dust that might be obstructing airflow.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.